Cadets 2020

12 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Wouldn't matter if they DID participate in Open Class. They'd still end up in finals just like Magic of Orlando did.

That WOULD hurt their income though.

Can’t wait to hear how Damp Otter would put an asterisk on that one...

• Haha 2

On 1/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, Slingerland said:

...or The Cadets (the kids and the instructors) are showing promise, but behind the scenes, YEA (the parent company) is a train wreck. Both can exist at the same time.

Yes and what good is all of that if they can’t function financially.

And yes, YEA IS a train wreck, on that we can agree 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I always thought the 80’s was the golden age. 

84 thru 05 had always been my pick

90s overall stronger imo with 80s being more “revolutionary” and 90s just rock solid top to bottom

by the time we get to 2001 for Cadets the program design started to be much more hit or miss 

2005 a huge hit - 2006 an example of just the opposite 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, Slingerland said:

...or The Cadets (the kids and the instructors) are showing promise, but behind the scenes, YEA (the parent company) is a train wreck. Both can exist at the same time.

its been that way for years

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

its been that way for years

And there always comes a day of reckoning for businesses that operate that way, so here we are. 

In terms of them being able to compete OC this year with no fees, it actually COULD work, since they could balance the $75k in lost show income against the possibility of skating from much more than that in a YEA bankruptcy, and assuming they make Finals, they'd be back on a paying track next season. That would be a truly sorry course of action (and DCI would likely not agree to it), but it would be a viable option.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

The elephant in the room is that, unless I'm reading the 990's wrong and I'm not a CPA, YEA! appears to have been floating The Cadets. So they do make a clean break from YEA!, they need a sugar daddy/mama to field anything but a skeleton show. It will be painful and possibly lethal, but they need to make the break. If I'm thinking "nah" about making my small donations because I don't want the money to go directly or indirectly to the Hopkins settlement fund, I'm sure the big donors are thinking the same thing. Really hope they survive and thrive, but it's not going to be easy.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

And there always comes a day of reckoning for businesses that operate that way, so here we are. 

In terms of them being able to compete OC this year with no fees, it actually COULD work, since they could balance the $75k in lost show income against the possibility of skating from much more than that in a YEA bankruptcy, and assuming they make Finals, they'd be back on a paying track next season. That would be a truly sorry course of action (and DCI would likely not agree to it), but it would be a viable option.

Would they be required to do the limited OC tour?