Cadets 2020

5 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I find it odd that so many here are wanting to excuse the inaction of the former Board of YEA and put it all on Hopkins. They had actual legal responsibility to oversee the organization's activities - their failure to do so doesn't get them off the hook, and the fact that Hopkins was/is a sexual predator actually has nothing to do with the fiscal mismanagement of their organization for years prior to his eventual unmasking.

Oh I’m definitely not letting them off the hook.  We were letting him have it big time about what was happening to the Cadets in LaCrosse.  We had been donors and had pulled back.  We were very sad about that.  He didn’t seem to care at all.  It was very uncomfortable sitting by him and his wife for the show after that. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

I don't recall much, if any talk of financial mismanagement as the allegations against GH began to roll out.   

But then, lots of people were too busy shouting extreme exaggerations like "Children were raped!!!" that tended to suck up all of the air in the room and overshadowed the actual story unfolding.

Not totally sure but think the financial disaster really came to light as the old board left and new people could see the books, etc. 

IMO the “actual story” is both financial and sexual abuse (alleged so far). Let’s not down play the abuse part....

• Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not totally sure but think the financial disaster really came to light as the old board left and new people could see the books, etc. 

IMO the “actual story” is both financial and sexual abuse (alleged so far). Let’s not down play the abuse part....

Let's also not exaggerate it.  He was charged with a criminal act and faces the consequences for it. There is no downplaying anything in that. But I've read many things in this forum and others that have taken the allegations by adult women in the workplace and somehow morphed them into a belief that young members were involved. That's not downplaying. That is simply acknowledging the facts.  

Did any of the reporting of the Philly Inquirer delve into financial mismanagement issues? I am sure some of these problems only revealed themselves after he was gone.  

29 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

Let's also not exaggerate it.  He was charged with a criminal act and faces the consequences for it. There is no downplaying anything in that. But I've read many things in this forum and others that have taken the allegations by adult women in the workplace and somehow morphed them into a belief that young members were involved. That's not downplaying. That is simply acknowledging the facts.  

Did any of the reporting of the Philly Inquirer delve into financial mismanagement issues? I am sure some of these problems only revealed themselves after he was gone.  

“Charged with A criminal act”.... as in ONE criminal act? 

emphasis mine

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Forgot the quote marks

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well......thats not how businesses work. leadership can and does change in many companies, but the creditor still wants to be paid. Being nice doesn't pay the bills.

Yes, of course, the creditors want paid.  But, with the wisdom that The Mad Egomaniac is gone and that the existing BoD has credibility, vision, and a significant probability of success, a creditor may simply list himself as such instead of either demanding the org be liquidated so it can be paid or, even worse, helping to assure its failure by not agreeing to provide products/services in the future.  A creditor who can trust (and verify) the corps' leadership and direction has a much better chance of being paid and maintaining the relationship while they help right the ship nearly sunk by that fool.

If it were demonstrable that the existing leadership was part of the past charade, then it would be reasonable to believe that the corps wouldn't live up to its promises and creditors would be reasonably tight-fisted.  I'm confident that the existing BoD knows that every decision now could mean life or death.  They need partners, creditors, friends, and donors.  It's not hard to imagine their very long-term supporters/suppliers/donors agree to give them more time grace, if not financial grace, to be part of the solution instead of the one creditor that pushed them over the edge.

They'll be fine.  They'll retool and reset, and probably come out better in the end anyway.  "...'Dis has gotta happen every five years, ten years..." and it's never happened to Cadets.  The house will look and smell a lot better after they've finished sweeping out all the bad blood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Exactly. It was always in a YEA Board’s power to step in and remove Hopkins for fiscal mis-management. There were 16 other directors on the Board besides Hopkins listed for FY 2017 - they share the blame for how badly this organization was being managed, since it’s highly unlikely their annual outside audit (required by PA law for an org their size) wasn’t telling them that they had major financial issues. 

Would you please clarify your meaning of THAT?  I'm not following.  EDIT:  Never mind, I get it now.  You named them each as "Directors" instead of Board Members.  I thought you were referring to other corps directors. NM

I doubt anyone on their prior board knew how to read the financial statements well enough to challenge The Ego.  Clearly, they failed in their fiduciary responsibility.  

If I were Cadets' counsel, I'd surely be looking at the recoverable assets of each one of them to use to pay any GH settlement or, better, to help right the Cadets' ship.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I find it odd that so many here are wanting to excuse the inaction of the former Board of YEA and put it all on Hopkins. They had actual legal responsibility to oversee the organization's activities - their failure to do so doesn't get them off the hook, and the fact that Hopkins was/is a sexual predator actually has nothing to do with the fiscal mismanagement of their organization for years prior to his eventual unmasking.

I don’t see anybody excusing the board. I see people pointing out the reality of a bad situation. GH placed his people on the board; the reality of that is they were not going to fire him, no matter how much they should have. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

There were young women involved in the allegations, corps members from the early 80’s. They are not part of the legal charge, as they happened too long ago, and probably not in the PA jurisdiction in any event.

The reporters story was sexual abuse committed by GH against young women. Financial stuff would not have been on the radar.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well......thats not how businesses work. leadership can and does change in many companies, but the creditor still wants to be paid. Being nice doesn't pay the bills.

But creditors do want to get paid. If they deem it in their best interest to work with the new organization they will. They would not want to see their money go down the drain if they can help it. Happens all the time in business.