Cadets 2020

6 hours ago, MikeD said:

Can you refresh me on what two years the Crossmen had to compete in Open class, first when they became a "new" corps when YEA! took them over and second when they left YEA! and became a "new" corps based in Texas?

I don't believe that the rules for WC membership now are the same as they were in 2007 (they are much more stringent now than they were in earlier eras), but if you have evidence to the contrary, I'd be happy to see it.

Also, Crossmen weren't fleeing a parent organization that was, at that point, considering bankruptcy. They were the red-headed step children in their parent org. I'd imagine that the dynamics today, if YEA wanted to be rid of Cadets because they were a pain in the ___ , would present a very different dynamic than what's on the table. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

If The Cadets aren't part of YEA, but part of a new stand-alone non-profit, they are part of a new entity, one that has no history with DCI. One that would, if they enforced the rules, have to observe the same restrictions as any other first-year organization. 

So yeah, oops.

So if a corps has a new parent organization then they are not the same corps? Not buying it. Would be like BITD a corps changed church or Legion sponsor being a new corps

”oh you have the same staff, equipment, etc, etc but you’re a different corps”

• Like 3

Haven’t thought nearly as much about the YEA/Cadets relationship as many of you. Although, the matter of unpaid debts and how best to erase them from concern of the drum corps side (Cadets) is what this is all about. 

Would this be an ‘underwater’ restaurant chain, the common remedy would be bankruptcy, closing stores, selling assets, and coming back  smaller, but still breathing somehow, and with a clean plate of no outstanding debt.

Are whatever debts being discussed here the sole responsibility of YEA?

Is the Cadets’ component in these obligations absolved by simply responding to creditors. . . . “YEA who?”

Next, Cadets marching merrily along their way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Haven’t thought nearly as much about the YEA/Cadets relationship as many of you. Although, the matter of unpaid debts and how best to erase them from concern of the drum corps side (Cadets) is what this is all about. 

Would this be an ‘underwater’ restaurant chain, the common remedy would be bankruptcy, closing stores, selling assets, and coming back  smaller, but still breathing somehow, and with a clean plate of no outstanding debt.

Is the Cadets’ component in these obligations absolved by simply responding to creditors. . . . “YEA who?”

Yikes is that what’s really happening?  In that case if I were a creditor I could ask the court to have them sell those nice new shiny instruments and give me the money. This is more precarious than I knew. I hope that’s not the situation but under the shroud of secrecy that exists, it’s hard to know. 

Edited by HockeyDad

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

I'm sure these are some of the "legalities" that have to be addressed before Yea/The Cadets "go public" with specific information about the corps.

A lot of who is responsible for what,including debt,would be tied to the legal relationship between YEA and the The Cadets.

Even things like who actually owns vehicles,equipment,including instruments, would have to be worked out.

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

they aren't a new corps. Oops.

I think we all understand that the corps currently rehearsing as "the Cadets" are not a new corps. 

However, there is a valid question about how new organizations are treated.  If Bill Cook started a corps today, they would probably have to be content with crushing all their SoundSport competition for three years before DCI would even evaluate them for advancement to open-class... and then how much longer to entertain a move to WC?  But if his corps was not "new" (say they call themselves "Oregon Crusaders"), then they could be evaluated immediately for 2020 world-class status.  There is a lot of inherent unfairness in that. 

But sending Cadets into SoundSport or open-class is not the way to fix that.  That would be completely backwards.  (And I should know!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

would they really still be having camps if it was a no?

I think the answer is yes.

In my opinion,even if the  YEA/The Cadets situation is tenuous/precarious,you keep going forward,

until a final decision on the fate of both organizations is made .

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

would they really still be having camps if it was a no?

Well not to be a PITA (I am anyway lol).

Carolina Gold is having rehearsals and the like and not approved.....

still think people stirring crap pot with itty bitty spoon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2