Cadets 2020

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

The Crossmen fit that same criteria when a group from Texas formed a new entity with no DCI history. I am not sure why this is such a big deal to generate these posts. At this point, the entire basis of these anti-Cadet posts is based on supposition and unproven guesses. Why not wait until the actual information comes out from the only places that count, The Cadets and DCI?

well hell then close dcp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

The Cabs tried that already.

i know. i was hoping for a better one

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

man - it's like a bunch of 80s Garfield Cadets stole of bunch of these anonymous posters girlfriends back in the day... 

like they had time

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

Until the Cadets/YEA and DCI put out real information, everything discussed is irrelevant, as it is not based on any real evidence. What is the point of this back and forth based on conjecture? 

to keep dcp alive?

11 hours ago, skevinp said:

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Cadets pass-out at 31 Flavors last night.

Happy Hoppy flavor strikes again

17 hours ago, dans said:

No, I interpret those who refuse to accept first-hand information as people hoping for the demise of the corps. You can pick the flag up now.

What first hand information?  “Wait until DCI / YEA / Cadets release information” does not constitute providing first-hand information. 

35 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

What first hand information?  “Wait until DCI / YEA / Cadets release information” does not constitute providing first-hand information. 

There have been several on this thread who have presented first-hand information. The information didn't support the doom and gloom agenda and was mostly ignored. I am pumped for the 2020 Cadets! Have a great day sir!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For us who marched in the 1970's.....Remember getting a winter copy of either Drum Corps World or, if you are older like me, Drum Corps News and maybe the corps posted their repertoire for the season. There was never talk of "the state of _________ corps!" The corps came out for the first competition in May or June or even July and then you see and hear. Today we wait (not patiently) for good or bad news from each corps or the DCI meetings so then we have something to whine about during the winter season. Today we even get to see what happens with bad corps directors on social media. BITD (yep I used that), directors and staff got away with anything and everything, which is sad! Today, you could get caught picking your nose with the wrong finger and you'll be outed on social media!

Today we can't wait patiently for news from the few remaining corps left. We have to know what's going on with the Cadets, SCV, BD, Madison, and a few others. Maybe once in a while we hear about Blue Knights. The few remaining Open Corps are never in the spotlight and if they are then it's for a brief moment.

Any change that happens in DCI is a chance for most to complain how drum corps is dying and how they want to go back to the old days of 2000, 1990's, 1980's, 1970's or to the days of REAL bugles with a valve and a slide. The people who are positive about these changes are shot down and are considered dumb, stupid, morons and idiots! How DARE drum corps try to get better! How dare corps around the country try to stay ahead of the game and put on a show that is musically and visually pleasing! John Doe who marched in 1970 and never performed again is still whining, "In my day we had a concert and a color presentation! We had inspections and marched in squad movements!" I thought about this on several occasions and I thought, Thank God DCI came along!!! 

RAMD (can I say that word?) came along and thus started the b#tching and whining. People became RAMD stars! We had "awards" that even I may have won! I never saw a plaque or certificate. I remember I commented on something and someone decided my opinion was not right and as I was waiting to go on at an indoor show I heard someone say to me, "So and so wants to kick your a$$ tonight!" I said (as a 290 lb ex Army MP), "ok, where and when?" He never showed.

Then came DCP. Good idea! It was run pretty well and still is today. I did leave the DCP FB page because, well, there were to many people more intelligent than me and I was a moron and an idiot. You,know I can only take so much and thought since I was older....why bother.

I have loved drum corps since 1970! I remember from 1973 till 2004 hearing my parents  "why do you do that crap?" Today I have that answer...it made me the person I am today. It showed me you can have passion in something! The people, for the most part are pretty cool too! I could go through of ton of people I marched with, taught with, am friends with, but thats alot and I'll forget someone.

Thanks Drum Corps!

• Like 2

I was so relieved to find out that all is well with the Cadets.  They just have not finalized all the details of how their 86th anniversary will be celebrated.  An announcement will be made when plans are in place.  With that aside...

There was a point made in discussion of hypotheticals that I found compelling:

22 hours ago, Slingerland said:

If the new parent organization is formed expressly to get the corps away from a bad financial situation they themselves created with their former parent organization (even if it was through malfeasance on the part of former management), the situation is more complex, to some of us anyway.

Yes.  Speaking generally, I would have trouble reconciling a corps being treated as a new corps separate from its previous organizational history (and debt) with DCI, yet simultaneously being treated as a pre-existing corps to retain the associated benefits of their membership status.  You cannot have it both ways.

The procedure for how new corps can enter world-class and/or member corps status was rewritten and published just a few months ago.  A new corps must spend three years in open-class, make the top 25 for three straight years, and meet a number of specific financial metrics over those three years as well as in projections for the upcoming season, before they can be voted in for WC participation.  Membership is another two years beyond that.  (Oh, and open-class is not "open" anymore - you need at least one year of successful SoundSport in the books first.)

Since DCI rules/procedures provide no avenue for a "new corps" in world-class, then that option should not be on the table.  If that is too unforgiving for the instance where a member corps is hit by the perfect storm of criminal mismanagement by one bad person, then DCI should never have created this new procedure in the first place.

Rules are rules.  Exceptions are for idiots who cannot write sensible rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1