Cadets 2020

This all has the makings of a sci-fi movie script.

"One the one hand... but on the other hand... but then, on the third and fourth hands...."

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

This all has the makings of a sci-fi movie script.

"One the one hand... but on the other hand... but then, on the third and fourth hands...."

Reminds me of “Night Gallary” quickie bit. Babysitter shows up at scary place. Dad says he’ll go get the kid ready. He leaves and you hear “... put your shoe on, now the other one (pause) now the other one...”. Sound of babysitter scramming out of there

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I was so relieved to find out that all is well with the Cadets.  They just have not finalized all the details of how their 86th anniversary will be celebrated.  An announcement will be made when plans are in place.  With that aside...

There was a point made in discussion of hypotheticals that I found compelling:

Yes.  Speaking generally, I would have trouble reconciling a corps being treated as a new corps separate from its previous organizational history (and debt) with DCI, yet simultaneously being treated as a pre-existing corps to retain the associated benefits of their membership status.  You cannot have it both ways.

The procedure for how new corps can enter world-class and/or member corps status was rewritten and published just a few months ago.  A new corps must spend three years in open-class, make the top 25 for three straight years, and meet a number of specific financial metrics over those three years as well as in projections for the upcoming season, before they can be voted in for WC participation.  Membership is another two years beyond that.  (Oh, and open-class is not "open" anymore - you need at least one year of successful SoundSport in the books first.)

Since DCI rules/procedures provide no avenue for a "new corps" in world-class, then that option should not be on the table.  If that is too unforgiving for the instance where a member corps is hit by the perfect storm of criminal mismanagement by one bad person, then DCI should never have created this new procedure in the first place.

Rules are rules.  Exceptions are for idiots who cannot write sensible rules.

Is a "reorganized" drum corps actually a "new" drum corps?

39 minutes ago, garfield said:

Is a "reorganized" drum corps actually a "new" drum corps?

"Re-organization" by definition, would mean staying in the same legally recognized corporation (if you move to a new house, you didn't "re-organize" your old house). They may have decided (or had it decided for them) to stay within YEA and find a way to make themselves solvent, and if so, awesome. If they're creating a new corporation to separate themselves from the mess in their old organization (which, as noted by others, was built around the corps), that's more than a little different situation.

not sure this will "help" but several of the folks posting on this thread actually do have extremely "first hand knowledge" of the plan for Cadets this summer, how camps have gone, the budget approach and "the plan" for the future. A number of them have reported their "first hand" impressions in a general sense - reassuring everyone that Cadets have a great plan and are having a great winter and advise "watch for an announcement"

they just aren't speaking "officially" as the organization wants to announce "the plan" at a certain time and way

but everything I've heard (second hand as I don't go to camps and I'm not involved in the corps administration as others here ARE) is very positive

anyway - point is - a lot of the general guidance in this thread is "first hand information" and from people very much involved and in the know

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Reminds me of “Night Gallary” quickie bit. Babysitter shows up at scary place. Dad says he’ll go get the kid ready. He leaves and you hear “... put your shoe on, now the other one (pause) now the other one...”. Sound of babysitter scramming out of there

That was a great "bit"".

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

not sure this will "help" but several of the folks posting on this thread actually do have extremely "first hand knowledge" of the plan for Cadets this summer, how camps have gone, the budget approach and "the plan" for the future. A number of them have reported their "first hand" impressions in a general sense - reassuring everyone that Cadets have a great plan and are having a great winter and advise "watch for an announcement"

they just aren't speaking "officially" as the organization wants to announce "the plan" at a certain time and way

but everything I've heard (second hand as I don't go to camps and I'm not involved in the corps administration as others here ARE) is very positive

anyway - point is - a lot of the general guidance in this thread is "first hand information" and from people very much involved and in the know

If there is a specific plan in place (set in stone),that is being implemented,why not release something "official".

What I wonder is if there is more of a "framework" for going forward,with certain components still " in flux".

Again,no problem with that,just say so.