Cadets 2020

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

If there is a specific plan in place (set in stone),that is being implemented,why not release something "official".

What I wonder is if there is more of a "framework" for going forward,with certain components still " in flux".

Again,no problem with that,just say so.

Why serve someone a cake that's not completely finished? 

Maybe they're getting things finalized and presentable before they decide to let the cat out of the bag? 

Why people on here think they're entitled to know the inner workings of an organization when THEY think it's appropriate is beyond me. 

I would like to think that when the information is ready to be presented to the general public, they will do so. 

Until then, we have no choice but to just wait. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KeithHall said:

For us who marched in the 1970's.....Remember getting a winter copy of either Drum Corps World or, if you are older like me, Drum Corps News and maybe the corps posted their repertoire for the season. There was never talk of "the state of _________ corps!" The corps came out for the first competition in May or June or even July and then you see and hear. Today we wait (not patiently) for good or bad news from each corps or the DCI meetings so then we have something to whine about during the winter season. Today we even get to see what happens with bad corps directors on social media. BITD (yep I used that), directors and staff got away with anything and everything, which is sad! Today, you could get caught picking your nose with the wrong finger and you'll be outed on social media!

Today we can't wait patiently for news from the few remaining corps left. We have to know what's going on with the Cadets, SCV, BD, Madison, and a few others. Maybe once in a while we hear about Blue Knights. The few remaining Open Corps are never in the spotlight and if they are then it's for a brief moment.

Any change that happens in DCI is a chance for most to complain how drum corps is dying and how they want to go back to the old days of 2000, 1990's, 1980's, 1970's or to the days of REAL bugles with a valve and a slide. The people who are positive about these changes are shot down and are considered dumb, stupid, morons and idiots! How DARE drum corps try to get better! How dare corps around the country try to stay ahead of the game and put on a show that is musically and visually pleasing! John Doe who marched in 1970 and never performed again is still whining, "In my day we had a concert and a color presentation! We had inspections and marched in squad movements!" I thought about this on several occasions and I thought, Thank God DCI came along!!! 

RAMD (can I say that word?) came along and thus started the b#tching and whining. People became RAMD stars! We had "awards" that even I may have won! I never saw a plaque or certificate. I remember I commented on something and someone decided my opinion was not right and as I was waiting to go on at an indoor show I heard someone say to me, "So and so wants to kick your a$$ tonight!" I said (as a 290 lb ex Army MP), "ok, where and when?" He never showed.

Then came DCP. Good idea! It was run pretty well and still is today. I did leave the DCP FB page because, well, there were to many people more intelligent than me and I was a moron and an idiot. You,know I can only take so much and thought since I was older....why bother.

I have loved drum corps since 1970! I remember from 1973 till 2004 hearing my parents  "why do you do that crap?" Today I have that answer...it made me the person I am today. It showed me you can have passion in something! The people, for the most part are pretty cool too! I could go through of ton of people I marched with, taught with, am friends with, but thats alot and I'll forget someone.

Thanks Drum Corps!

#####ing and complaining has been a part of drum corps since day 2. way back it was on the phone or at social gatherings or shows. then it became letters to the editor in various publications in addition to the aforementioned options. then came the internet, and letters to the editor died off, but the original options still remain. please don't claim it's all the internets fault.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

one can always find a spare 15-20 seconds... 

like they had that much time

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

If there is a specific plan in place (set in stone),that is being implemented,why not release something "official".

What I wonder is if there is more of a "framework" for going forward,with certain components still " in flux".

Again,no problem with that,just say so.

why release until all legal i's are dotted and t's are crossed? rushing to announce what may not be 100% set in stone can do more damage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Groundhog day?

drink to world peace and don't drive angry....or you'll get punched like Ned

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

exactly

When Hopkins was involved everything from show concepts to big organizational needs / announcements was released half-baked and stream-of-consciousness 

It makes me feel very reassured that the adults now in charge are thinking things through, crossing-t's and dotting i's before announcements. Everyone complained in the past there was too much half-baked stuff announced - now it's "where is my update??"

Good point sir!

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

#####ing and complaining has been a part of drum corps since day 2. way back it was on the phone or at social gatherings or shows. then it became letters to the editor in various publications in addition to the aforementioned options. then came the internt, and letters to the editor died off, but the orinal options still remain. please don't claim it's all the internets fault.

The Yentas span every generation😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/29/2020 at 11:42 AM, dbc03 said:

I don't know the real situation which is why I'm not speculating what it is one way or another, but nice try.

Nobody in this thread is really trying to understand the situation. They are just participating in idle gossip because the people who are actually in the know aren't posting in this thread. Anyone really trying to understand the situation would contact the corps directly, but instead it is just a bunch of speculation, rumors, and pearl clutching.

Well now, come on.  This is not actually true - it's not a binary situation.  It's entirely possible that someone with actual knowledge would post on the thread, especially when trying to correct an imprecise angle of argument.  They tend to speak up if they can get past rolling their eyes.  It doesn't help when posters with real information, which may seem diametrical to the line of reasoning, is deemed crazy and then marginalized as being uninformed - especially by those whom you describe above.  Admittedly, there are those who are widely known as loons or nutcases - I'm not referring to them.

I've seen several posters here who are stating information that I thought would have been known only by someone who attends meetings, volunteers and talks to volunteers, serves on a board or committee, or otherwise stays "plugged in" to the corps and activity. 

It's not so hard to imagine the gravitas of the people lurking, and even posting.  Can one really identify the people behind their anonymous DCP screen names?  If you don't know them personally, I think you'd be surprised who watches, posts, is active, and is here to learn and understand, including donors, sponsors, and equipment providers - not just directors and corps board members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, George Dixon said:

They will be. At the correct time. I'm pretty sure that's been stated about 25 times.

The posts from some of the  DCPr's  who have "first hand knowledge" of the situation give the impression that

everything has been "worked out".

Only that  they aren't authorized to reveal it.

I fell that, if  you're aware  that YEA/the Cadets still need to finalize certain things, make that clear 

when you post.

• Like 1