Cadets 2020

14 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Then why not just change the name of the entire corps too? 

Sorry. This is just overkill imo. Proposing all this stuff about getting rid of it is less important than focusing more on the actual meaning of it. 

we are discussing a new parent organization - why would they keep the exact mission statement of the prior one? YEA! is not the Cadets - Cadets were Cadets (or Cadets of BC or Garfield Cadets) long prior and if all goes according to plan, long after

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

we are discussing a new parent organization - why would they keep the exact mission statement of the prior one? YEA! is not the Cadets - Cadets were Cadets (or Cadets of BC or Garfield Cadets) long prior and if all goes according to plan, long after

But GH was the director of The Cadets since 1980, and since he was there during the time Cadets won all of their World Championships, based on your argument, The Cadets name should be changed as well. 

As I said, I think it's being too nitpicky to get rid of a mission statement because you feel it is associated and been betrayed by a man who didn't live up to it himself. 

36 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

we are discussing a new parent organization - why would they keep the exact mission statement of the prior one? 

Because mission statements and vision statements are vapid and nobody reads them. Well, in this case I guess one person read them. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Because mission statements and vision statements are vapid and nobody reads them. Well, in this case I guess one person read them. 

I never read that mission statement when I marched. But I do read mission statements before I go on job interviews lol...

40 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

But GH was the director of The Cadets since 1980, and since he was there during the time Cadets won all of their World Championships, based on your argument, The Cadets name should be changed as well. 

As I said, I think it's being too nitpicky to get rid of a mission statement because you feel it is associated and been betrayed by a man who didn't live up to it himself. 

well - titles prior and hoping titles after... 

we can just agree to disagree... we'll see what happens

44 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Yup. Their mission statement is fine, doesn't need to be changed. And if it does get changed, it will no doubt be replaced with something nearly identical in idealistic intent and verbiage. (But I guess it somehow won't be "liberal BS" because GH didn't come up with it? Lol, whatever.) Of all the things on their plate right now, this is probably the least of their concerns.

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Tek, as I understand his posts, George is saying keep the Cadets (or Garfield Cadets or...) and change the name of the parent org.

I, frankly, don't give a da-em-en about YEA! - that was a HOP creation and, IMO, killing it is absolutely worth very serious discussion.  It stinks too much.

But The Cadets drum corps, in the Marching Music world, means something else, the "else" YOU know.

I agree they should be split.  Find another name for the parent - keep the corps name, tradition, style, mission, everything. 

The Parent's mission will grow from the decision surrounding whatever other entities need to be under that umbrella to keep the mission - and the critical corps - alive, solvent, and competitive.  YEA! was a catch-all for a bunch of Hop dreams.  More sane dreams will determine the nature, and name, of the parent later.  DCI wants to know if they can get down the road profitable, safe, and with enough cushion to pay off whatever debts it owes.  My understanding is that they have EXCELLENT and VERY EXPERIENCED guidance looking over their shoulders.

Even in this state, they have a LOT of credibility asset as a teaching and winning enterprise.  A good business plan won't sacrifice that, and no other "watcher" looking over their operations is going to allow that, either.  Cut back to the REAL bone and re-prove tour and financial efficacy and durability - that's the obvious target of what DCI is looking for.

Stop and think: Has anyone here heard anything about Cadets hiring some outside business counsel or guidance to help them rebuild?  Anyone?  Not me.  Isn't it reasonable, therefore, to presume that those who are assisting in their oversight and direction are, in fact, "The Member Corps", represented by DCI's administrative functional structure?  In other words, the other member corps?

The Cadets may or may not have enough air in their bilge to right this ship.  But I'm HIGHLY confident that everyone in the activity wants to see Cadets succeed and continue to be a stout competitor.  The people on the ground, running this thing with all their might, skill, and dreams deserve praise for their guts and grit not attacks, period.  

Sending a check would be real nice.  Volunteering, yes please.  Coming on DCP and spreading silly, and borderline stupid, rumors is damaging, not helpful.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

They don't matter.  Actions do.  The prior failed on actions, not intent or mission.

No sense presuming this bunch will do, or is doing, the same.

1 hour ago, seen-it-all said:

Yup. Their mission statement is fine, doesn't need to be changed. And if it does get changed, it will no doubt be replaced with something nearly identical in idealistic intent and verbiage. (But I guess it somehow won't be "liberal BS" because GH didn't come up with it? Lol, whatever.) Of all the things on their plate right now, this is probably the least of their concerns.

This is right.  It will be, and reflect, the Cadets and all of its traditions.  Not GH.  That ######## is dead to the org and they should kill every outward reminder of him and his $$ schemes, including YEA! and USBands.  Jettison.  "Sell" them (someone here says that can't be done, but...). 

Start new, with the old.

• Thanks 1