Cadets 2020

22 minutes ago, ykw said:

Specifically, Lakewood Ranch High School in Bradenton, where assistant director Ron Lambert has been the band director for the past sixteen years.   

Didn't Boston use this same school for auditions/camps in previous years?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Are they going to do an ensemble on Sunday? 

Show and Tell is scheduled for noon, and a Volunteer and Parent Meeting at 11:00am

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I can't confirm, but considering Ron Lambert was the BAC assistant director in 2017, 2018 and 2019, it seems likely.

Edited by ykw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

For several years.  Ron Lambert,  prior to his current position with Cadets was with Boston as Asst. Director for at least a couple of years.  He was the LR connection/contact as Band Director.  A great guy and Cadets are lucky to have him.  Best wishes to him and Cadets.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, exitmusic said:

So you can't do it, but you can do it. Got it.

Yes, and I am telling you that this is not nearly as difficult as you think. It isn't difficult at all. I could have formed three corporate entities today during lunch. Your article relates to the business difficulties, not the legal difficulties, which again -- not significant.

My experience with Varsity and its parent is that they'd want to own it.

Sorry, but you just don't know the facts that you are speaking about. 

1 - What don't you understand about cannot just "swap" status?  You have to DISSOLVE a 501(c)(3).  That means there is nothing left to "swap."  Law doesn't leave gray area to that question. 

2 - Of course you can form a corporate entity easily and quickly.  However, you cannot for a Not-for-profit corporate entity with 501(c)(3) status quickly and easily.  Everything involved in forming, running, and yes ending those are vastly different than a regular for-profit corporation.  The legal difficulties are significant when you begin winding down a non-profit - and having to get sign-off approval of your state's AG is not a "business difficulty" - that is as legal as it gets.  I would love to see an example of what you claim to be a case where a for-profit purchased a non-profit outright.  

3 - Does Varsity currently operated competitive events itself?  Or are they in the businesses of selling products to participants and organizers of competitive events?  

1 hour ago, TwoValves said:

3 - Does Varsity currently operated competitive events itself?  Or are they in the businesses of selling products to participants and organizers of competitive events?  

the correct answer is yes

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TwoValves said:

Of course you can form a corporate entity easily and quickly.  However, you cannot for a Not-for-profit corporate entity with 501(c)(3) status quickly and easily.  Everything involved in forming, running, and yes ending those are vastly different than a regular for-profit corporation.   

Couldn't agree more.

A municipality I work with purchased a "historic" (based on age) house.

Over the years it had some renovations done,so it couldn't automatically go on the

National Historic Register.

Their original intent was to form a 501(c)(3).

Complicated and time consuming doesn't begin to describe the process.

Eventually they had to give up the idea and sold the property.

11 hours ago, TwoValves said:

Sorry, but you just don't know the facts that you are speaking about. 

1 - What don't you understand about cannot just "swap" status?  You have to DISSOLVE a 501(c)(3).  That means there is nothing left to "swap."  Law doesn't leave gray area to that question. 

2 - Of course you can form a corporate entity easily and quickly.  However, you cannot for a Not-for-profit corporate entity with 501(c)(3) status quickly and easily.  Everything involved in forming, running, and yes ending those are vastly different than a regular for-profit corporation.  The legal difficulties are significant when you begin winding down a non-profit - and having to get sign-off approval of your state's AG is not a "business difficulty" - that is as legal as it gets.  I would love to see an example of what you claim to be a case where a for-profit purchased a non-profit outright.  

Answer to #3 is Yes. They run cheer competitions across the country. If I am correct they are hosting a Color Guard show in Fla. either this or next month. I Know they were trying to organize some independent CG shows under the Varsity name