Cadets 2020

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They have camps in Texas now   There was one in Florida last year. I think it was in Jupiter. 

most corps spread camps around now....gets you access to more talent, and saves kids from flying cross country every month. the days of kids being within driving distance are done

14 hours ago, TwoValves said:

1 - What don't you understand about cannot just "swap" status?  You have to DISSOLVE a 501(c)(3).  That means there is nothing left to "swap."  Law doesn't leave gray area to that question. 

Right, and dissolving a 501(c)(3) is not particularly difficult. It is no more difficult than dissolving a for-profit entity. I think you're confusing "difficult for someone who doesn't do this for a living" with "relatively simple for someone who already completely understands all of this," much like I think that playing a mellophone is very difficult, but the Bluecoats' mellophone line decidedly does not.

2 - Of course you can form a corporate entity easily and quickly.  However, you cannot for a Not-for-profit corporate entity with 501(c)(3) status quickly and easily.

Yes you can. A non-profit entity operates as provisionally approved from the time it is formed until the time its application with the IRS is finally approved.

Everything involved in forming, running, and yes ending those are vastly different than a regular for-profit corporation.

Even if true, there are lawyers who literally do this for a living. On this small a scale (and this is tiny), this effort for one of those guys is negligible.

The legal difficulties are significant when you begin winding down a non-profit - and having to get sign-off approval of your state's AG is not a "business difficulty" - that is as legal as it gets.  I would love to see an example of what you claim to be a case where a for-profit purchased a non-profit outright.

You wouldn't have the for-profit purchase the non-profit entity. You'd have it purchase the assets for fair market value. A good example is hospital system consolidation. Over the past 20ish years, for-profit health conglomerates have been purchasing non-profit hospitals by buying land, buildings, equipment, etc. The non-profits become "foundations" that support community health initiatives.

3 - Does Varsity currently operated competitive events itself?  Or are they in the businesses of selling products to participants and organizers of competitive events?  

Varsity is everywhere.

This is all pointless anyway because YEA lacks the institutional competence to do anything that actually makes sense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

most corps spread camps around now....gets you access to more talent, and saves kids from flying cross country every month. the days of kids being within driving distance are done

Oh really. I didn’t know that.  Thanks.  🙄

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Are they going to do an ensemble on Sunday? 

Yes. About noon. Get there about 11a to be sure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh really. I didn’t know that.  Thanks.  🙄

Wasn’t aimed at you dear

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Good lord! This is nothing new and hasn’t been for like ever 

Again you aren’t the intended audience 

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2020 at 8:25 PM, George Dixon said:

Interesting perspective. They probably shouldn’t have shopped it around so much if they didn’t want people to assume it was “for sale”

obviously I hope it works out for all but I see the departing cadets the single “prestige program” of YEA! departing vs “baggage” In the manner your describing them. Without Cadets USB is just another band circuit. 

The "baggage" is all that has gone on with Cadets which led to bands pulling out of events and people not wanting to do business with US Bands. And then there is the use of US Bands revenue t support the corps instead of support... the participating directors and bands. Anyone can start a circuit. But US Bands will be better positioned to be a service organization and not just someones side deal to generate cash. A health, independent, service-focused US Bands is good for music education.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1