Cadets 2020

11 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

Sooooo quick question, when the cadets separate does their debt follow?!? 

Because the 67K they owe dci should be accounted for plus the amount of other stuff they owe.... 

they need to be held accountable for all of this! 

Who owes DCI $67,000?  Cadets, the now stand-alone drum corps, or YEA!, the parent corp that just spit them out?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeD said:

How would anyone here know the answer to that today? Also, as there are a bunch of professionals involved with this process, financial, legal, etc...don't you think that they will do what is necessary. Also, DCI is involved  with all of this as well, so whatever happens I would guess they are part of the process. Those are the people who matter in creating this new organization.

I'm presuming this is true.  And, based on that presumption, it's a slam-dunk-correct presumption that the current group of leaders are not going to let the $67m mistakes of the past take the Cadets organization down.  It simply won't happen.  First step, separate the entity.  Most likely all debt incurred was done under the YEA! banner, not the drum corps specifically, and yes, even when the same person was signing.

Sorry, Mike, not at you.  Once I got started...  ugh.

Once the drum corps is sliced off, YEA! can collapse and not take down the corps.  The Cadets then start fresh and run a responsible million dollar drum corps like nearly all the rest, compete, win, and give a great experience.  Just like SOOOOO many others in this activity.  The corps has to show earnest ability and capacity to generate and pay out for costs to tour, just like every other corps on tour.  Some say they'll have to put on - I say keep on -  their adult pants and do like every other corps - find a way to survive, grow, and prosper.  Here's a line:  "Pfft...  This... pfft... is the business... pfft... that we've chosen."  We don't need to sit here and prod them, they know the tasks at hand better than almost anyone here.  So many GREAT EDs sit behind the DCP wall of anonymity, right?

Someone here took a cheap shot at calling the directors and leadership of DCI incompetent, while they sit behind a screen and lob crap at a serious discussion board.  I give those brave enough to have broken this narcissist from the activity much more credit than to think they haven't thought four steps ahead of nearly all of us behind these anonymous keyboards.

• Thanks 3

Hey George, is my presumption correct that you, as the OP, wish to keep this topic on the 2020 Cadets drum corps and not the travails of YEA!?  Except, I suppose to the extent that those events affect the drum corps?

With the other thread now started, I'd like some clarity.  I, personally, would vote to keep this thread on the corps and let the other argue about YEA! and what becomes of it.

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I'm presuming this is true.  And, based on that presumption, it's a slam-dunk-correct presumption that the current group of leaders are not going to let the $67m mistakes of the past take the Cadets organization down.  It simply won't happen.  First step, separate the entity.  Most likely all debt incurred was done under the YEA! banner, not the drum corps specifically, and yes, even when the same person was signing.

Sorry, Mike, not at you.  Once I got started...  ugh.

Yes, the $67,000 quoted is what Cadets or YEA owe DCI for other corps appearance fees from the shows they hosted in 2019. There is also a large unpaid bill for the use of Met Life Stadium in 2019 (both US Bands and Cadets shows) that is why the show site on the 2020 schedule is listed as TBD.

30 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Yes, the $67,000 quoted is what Cadets or YEA owe DCI for other corps appearance fees from the shows they hosted in 2019. There is also a large unpaid bill for the use of Met Life Stadium in 2019 (both US Bands and Cadets shows) that is why the show site on the 2020 schedule is listed as TBD.

You missed the point.  Do the Cadets own the debt, or does YEA!?

YEA! spun off Cadets to their own org; if anyone has any direct knowledge of how much debt went with them, please add.  It is also safe to say that the Cadets corps will carry their debt to DCI because it is the corps that DCI can prevent from the tour if they aren't paid.  DCI can also make arrangements of their own for repayment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

YEA! spun off Cadets to their own org; if anyone has any direct knowledge of how much debt went with them, please add.  It is also safe to say that the Cadets corps will carry their debt to DCI because it is the corps that DCI can prevent from the tour if they aren't paid.  DCI can also make arrangements of their own for repayment.

My point was did Cadets sign a contract to sponsor the shows or was it YEA? Which is what you also were asking. From a DCI standpoint if it is owed by the Cadets then the amount due could easily be witheld from 2020 appearance fees for the Cadets.

Not every show is sponsored by a DCI corps. I believe the debt restructuring is still TBD.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Once the drum corps is sliced off, YEA! can collapse and not take down the corps.  The Cadets then start fresh and run a responsible million dollar drum corps like nearly all the rest, compete, win, and give a great experience.  

Not necessarily.

YEA/the Cadets can come up with any mechanism they want, to split.

But,if their creditors don't agree,and they end up in a bankruptcy court,

a judge will decide what happens.

Where it can get really tricky is if it is found YEA split off the Cadets,"debt free",knowing the parent 

organization would,most likely ,fold.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Ask on the webinar Thursday 

• Like 1