Cadets 2020

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Yea, but just like leasing a car, the residual value of the old horns doesn't come close to the purchase price of the new ones.

It's entirely possible that Yamaha has underwritten (aka: gifted) the new horns but, even still, Yamaha is no dummy company; I don't think they would extend such benefits if the Cadets weren't worth the risk or able to generate new sales for Yamaha.

It is quite possible that Yamaha offers a good deal; a  discounted rated on new brass.  A corps then purchases the discounted brass.  Once the season is over, because they are a purchased item, the "new: brass can be sold (pre-sold before the season begins) and the following year, the process is repeated.  That way a corps could effectively get new equipment for no cost each year.  The selling price of the used brass, can cover the purchase price or if the discount is decent, make a bit of a profit.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Yea, but just like leasing a car, the residual value of the old horns doesn't come close to the purchase price of the new ones.

It's entirely possible that Yamaha has underwritten (aka: gifted) the new horns but, even still, Yamaha is no dummy company; I don't think they would extend such benefits if the Cadets weren't worth the risk or able to generate new sales for Yamaha.

There is a story behind the new horns; however, I don't think it is my place to speak for the Cadets. All I will say is the Cadets had something special and unexpected happen!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, dans said:

There is a story behind the new horns; however, I don't think it is my place to speak for the Cadets. All I will say is the Cadets had something special and unexpected happen!

You are good person, dude, or ma'am.  I appreciate the info and your care.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

It is quite possible that Yamaha offers a good deal; a  discounted rated on new brass.  A corps then purchases the discounted brass.  Once the season is over, because they are a purchased item, the "new: brass can be sold (pre-sold before the season begins) and the following year, the process is repeated.  That way a corps could effectively get new equipment for no cost each year.  The selling price of the used brass, can cover the purchase price or if the discount is decent, make a bit of a profit.

yes - they buy new at a significant discount and then resell as used

1 hour ago, dans said:

ohhhh - that's interesting! Yeah - new brass!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dans said:

I'm a dude. And I respect you and your thoughtful words on this forum!

Can verify a dude even if we have never met. In same Jr high band for a bit and later had a corpsmate point dans out to me. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, dans said:

I would really enjoy meeting you some time. It is truly a small world!

Same here... also my family met your mom when she ran the Buccs souvie table back in the 70s. Still have my little stained glass Horn guy in Westshoremen colors (somewhere). Think she knew someone who did them so my mom ordered one

• Like 1