Cadets 2020

I said it last year and I'll say it again this year. With so many corps putting emphasis on staging, they can separate themselves by focusing on drill. By doing that, they can also appeal to a different performer that actually wants to march drill. Adding elbows and visuals while doing drill can actually make The Cadets unique. The key is to do it in a revolutionary way that doesn't come across as 'going old-school'. 

Drill is one of the things I LOVE about drum corps and it makes me sad how drum corps is moving away from it. Drum corps is always evolving and evolves with someone pushing the envelope having success as a result. If The Cadets (or any other corps for that matter) ends up making some incredible drill (and maybe adding visual moves during the drill) and has success as a result we will see more corps doing it. I think judges would credit corps if it increased the difficulty factor. 

I have no idea what The Cadets are doing, but it certainly sounds like they are moving in the right direction. I am really impressed with the staff coming in and sounds like they are getting some more talent as well. I think the brass will be MUCH better in 2020 and the percussion will be just as good (if not better) as well. I hope with April's return the guard will be back. 

The show itself is my biggest concern. I hope they have a design team that will create something where the talent of the members can thrive. If the idea is garbage it won't matter how good the members or the staff are that have been selected. I have hope in the 2020 version of The Cadets which is certainly more than I've had the last few seasons.

I'm not expecting them to compete for a title, but I don't think it's crazy to think they may have the pieces in place to break into the top half of Finals. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, East9900 said:

I said it last year and I'll say it again this year. With so many corps putting emphasis on staging, they can separate themselves by focusing on drill. By doing that, they can also appeal to a different performer that actually wants to march drill. Adding elbows and visuals while doing drill can actually make The Cadets unique. The key is to do it in a revolutionary way that doesn't come across as 'going old-school'. 

Drill is one of the things I LOVE about drum corps and it makes me sad how drum corps is moving away from it. Drum corps is always evolving and evolves with someone pushing the envelope having success as a result. If The Cadets (or any other corps for that matter) ends up making some incredible drill (and maybe adding visual moves during the drill) and has success as a result we will see more corps doing it. I think judges would credit corps if it increased the difficulty factor. 

I have no idea what The Cadets are doing, but it certainly sounds like they are moving in the right direction. I am really impressed with the staff coming in and sounds like they are getting some more talent as well. I think the brass will be MUCH better in 2020 and the percussion will be just as good (if not better) as well. I hope with April's return the guard will be back. 

The show itself is my biggest concern. I hope they have a design team that will create something where the talent of the members can thrive. If the idea is garbage it won't matter how good the members or the staff are that have been selected. I have hope in the 2020 version of The Cadets which is certainly more than I've had the last few seasons.

I'm not expecting them to compete for a title, but I don't think it's crazy to think they may have the pieces in place to break into the top half of Finals. 

and hoping this is not just for Christmas wish list thread.

All I hope for is a show that the members enjoy to perform.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, East9900 said:

I said it last year and I'll say it again this year. With so many corps putting emphasis on staging, they can separate themselves by focusing on drill. By doing that, they can also appeal to a different performer that actually wants to march drill.

Not to mention being absolved from having to push all that crap around all summer.  Sounds VERY appealing to me!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, East9900 said:

I think this is the Cadet in us talking. I have been saying pretty much the same thing for years. I believe there is a way to incorporate Cadet-style drill AND combine it with the staging that is so present in today's drum corps. If any corps can do it, it's the Cadets (and Crown imo). I've accepted the fact that the drum corps I've grown up with is gone, but I believe we can still have some of what we had in addition to what we have now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I think this is the Cadet in us talking. I have been saying pretty much the same thing for years. I believe there is a way to incorporate Cadet-style drill AND combine it with the staging that is so present in today's drum corps. If any corps can do it, it's the Cadets (and Crown imo). I've accepted the fact that the drum corps I've grown up with is gone, but I believe we can still have some of what we had in addition to what we have now. 

I would agree with that. We just need to remember that every era is different from the one before it. Some incorporate more of something and some actually incorporate less. 

All it takes is for someone to do it and be successful. If any corps were to go heavy into drill and win I guarantee you would see more and more corps doing it. 

It is definitely the Cadet in me talking... you are right about that. But when a corps does really cool drill people notice. Blue Stars had some really cool visual moments this year with drill. It's just a shame that it happens less than it used to. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, East9900 said:

I would agree with that. We just need to remember that every era is different from the one before it. Some incorporate more of something and some actually incorporate less. 

All it takes is for someone to do it and be successful. If any corps were to go heavy into drill and win I guarantee you would see more and more corps doing it. 

It is definitely the Cadet in me talking... you are right about that. But when a corps does really cool drill people notice. Blue Stars had some really cool visual moments this year with drill. It's just a shame that it happens less than it used to. 

Take a look below my signature and everyone will know what you're talking about. 

As much as I would love to see Marching and Maneuvering become part of drum corps shows again, The juice isn't worth the squeeze. (The difficulty won't get rewarded) the trend is focused on staging. I think the best we can hope for is a Mix like Bluecoats and Crown, to name a few. Drum corps are focused on setting up and creating moments. Teaching a couple hundred pages of drill just doesn't get judged like it used to. So, If you're looking for early 2000's Cadets or Cavaliers  go watch a DVD. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boxingfred said:

As much as I would love to see Marching and Maneuvering become part of drum corps shows again, The juice isn't worth the squeeze. (The difficulty won't get rewarded) the trend is focused on staging. I think the best we can hope for is a Mix like Bluecoats and Crown, to name a few. Drum corps are focused on setting up and creating moments. Teaching a couple hundred pages of drill just doesn't get judged like it used to. So, If you're looking for early 2000's Cadets or Cavaliers  go watch a DVD. 

I go back and forth on this. I feel the Cadets can distinguish themselves once again in marching movement - but it also must be a skill demonstrated alongside of more modern staging. 2015 had aspects of both and with a bit more staging and a tiny less movement I think the balance would serve  them very well - and ya, the audience

with the new design team in place I fully expect that’s what we’re going to get 

Edited by George Dixon

5 hours ago, boxingfred said:

Well Crown had a good amount of drill in their show last year, so, with all due respect, I don't need to go watch a DVD. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1