Cadets 2020

7 hours ago, FTNK said:

I've heard YEA on verge of bankruptcy and looking to sell the corps, and tuition recently increased. I hope that if they do fold, members can get that $5K back. 

I would probably use the payment plan option rather than paying in full up front this year.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:58 PM, Terri Schehr said:

87?  Or 85? 

I think '87 in WI.  Look at the banners on the upper deck.  I think 1990 was the last year they allowed that.

Phew!  Memories are grey from back then!

In fact, seeing the "Bloo" banner in the stands, I don't think they had that until '89, so this probably is '90 Buffalo.  The last year for banners, IIRC.

Edited by garfield

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I think '87 in WI.  Look at the banners on the upper deck.  I think 1990 was the last year they allowed that.

I was at camp Randall in 87 but in 85, I’d just had a baby! 

I don't want to kick something that is already beaten up, but...

Every time you donate anything to The Cadets or YEA, you are helping subsidize the settlement they made with George Hopkins, who did awful things to too many people. 

There are many other corps around who have protected children and youth are who are more deserving of your money.

I am truly sorry if that hurts anyone, but it is the truth.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, karuna said:

Yeah but that's not likely to happen.  I'm sure the drum corps would love to jump ship (with the name, equipment and staff) but considering the Cadets are YEA's primary function...

yes and the Cadets need out from those three letters

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exitmusic said:

The organization is trying to spin off the cadets and the band organization. This is not a secret. They are not trying to hide it. It's all anyone could talk about at UIL and midwest.

agreed, confirmed by people who would actually know. face it, they were a mess before the scandal broke. that only exacerbated it, and there's no easy quick fix

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

I hear...I hear...I hear....FROM WHO???? The janitor who works at their offices?

he was laid off

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

In fact, seeing the "Bloo" banner in the stands, I don't think they had that until '89, so this probably is '90 Buffalo.  The last year for banners, IIRC.

no Magic spider web  in 87 cause Magic didn't appear until 90

Edited by Jeff Ream

12 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I don't want to kick something that is already beaten up, but...

Every time you donate anything to The Cadets or YEA, you are helping subsidize the settlement they made with George Hopkins, who did awful things to too many people. 

There are many other corps around who have protected children and youth are who are more deserving of your money.

I am truly sorry if that hurts anyone, but it is the truth.

Please provide a copy of the (very confidential) settlement document that proves this.

You can't and won't.

Every dollar that goes in goes to providing a great program for the kids.

• Thanks 2