Cadets 2020

13 hours ago, TwoValves said:

I don't recall much, if any talk of financial mismanagement as the allegations against GH began to roll out.   

But then, lots of people were too busy shouting extreme exaggerations like "Children were raped!!!" that tended to suck up all of the air in the room and overshadowed the actual story unfolding.

finances came up many times

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TwoValves said:

Let's also not exaggerate it.  He was charged with a criminal act and faces the consequences for it. There is no downplaying anything in that. But I've read many things in this forum and others that have taken the allegations by adult women in the workplace and somehow morphed them into a belief that young members were involved. That's not downplaying. That is simply acknowledging the facts.  

Did any of the reporting of the Philly Inquirer delve into financial mismanagement issues? I am sure some of these problems only revealed themselves after he was gone.  

if you read the articles printed, some were young. but the statutes ran out on those women being included in the legal actions.

13 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, of course, the creditors want paid.  But, with the wisdom that The Mad Egomaniac is gone and that the existing BoD has credibility, vision, and a significant probability of success, a creditor may simply list himself as such instead of either demanding the org be liquidated so it can be paid or, even worse, helping to assure its failure by not agreeing to provide products/services in the future.  A creditor who can trust (and verify) the corps' leadership and direction has a much better chance of being paid and maintaining the relationship while they help right the ship nearly sunk by that fool.

If it were demonstrable that the existing leadership was part of the past charade, then it would be reasonable to believe that the corps wouldn't live up to its promises and creditors would be reasonably tight-fisted.  I'm confident that the existing BoD knows that every decision now could mean life or death.  They need partners, creditors, friends, and donors.  It's not hard to imagine their very long-term supporters/suppliers/donors agree to give them more time grace, if not financial grace, to be part of the solution instead of the one creditor that pushed them over the edge.

They'll be fine.  They'll retool and reset, and probably come out better in the end anyway.  "...'Dis has gotta happen every five years, ten years..." and it's never happened to Cadets.  The house will look and smell a lot better after they've finished sweeping out all the bad blood.

but take the cannoli

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

But creditors do want to get paid. If they deem it in their best interest to work with the new organization they will. They would not want to see their money go down the drain if they can help it. Happens all the time in business. 

sometimes you can make more claiming the loss

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you read the articles printed, some were young. but the statutes ran out on those women being included in the legal actions.

There are also jurisdiction issues - the location where the alleged crime was committed is where they prosecute.  And do the victims remember where on tour the assault occurred 40 years ago?  Heck, it might even have been in Canada.

On the other hand, some states (& I think NJ is one) have recently waived (correct word?) the statute of limitations for civil (vs criminal) actions involving past sexual assault.  I have heard somewhere that several victims are considering this route once the criminal case is complete.  I doubt Cadets will be named in such a suit, but they may have some (old) records/paperwork that may be relevant.

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There are also jurisdiction issues - the location where the alleged crime was committed is where they prosecute.  And do the victims remember where on tour the assault occurred 40 years ago?  Heck, it might even have been in Canada.

On the other hand, some states (& I think NJ is one) have recently waived (correct word?) the statute of limitations for civil (vs criminal) actions involving past sexual assault.  I have heard somewhere that several victims are considering this route once the criminal case is complete.  I doubt Cadets will be named in such a suit, but they may have some (old) records/paperwork that may be relevant.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2019/05/13/nj-extends-statute-limitations-child-abuse-cases/1183930001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/26/pennsylvania-law-giving-child-sex-abuse-victims-more-time-sue/4307256002/

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

Texas Audition Day Recap.

(from my FB page)

BRASS ONLY CAMP

Nearly 40 brass in attendance. Which is great for a one day camp. 

Wow! What a great day!! Matt Stratton and his staff are doing a great job. We are well ahead of plan with the quality of brass that will be on the field this summer. If the brass stays on this path, they are going to shock a lot of people with the level of improvement. The members have to stay dedicated and committed to the program.

Justin Moore and Ron Lambert both your levels of attention to detail are both professional and friendly. You can't have a great drum corps without a great admin team and you two, along with Denise Bonfiglio, Michelle, and the team all of you form is going to give us a fighting chance. Conversations that end with "were on that!" will make many people, and most importantly the membership, very happy.

Joyce Tsuchiya Litwitz Thank you so much for coming out and spending the day with us. Its great when alumni come to camps and not only watch the corps over the day, but offer so much help... It was great to sit and talk with you and get to know you more. Joyce is a part of the "first female guard alumni" and has so much history to share. I can't wait to see how organized the Southwest US Cadet alumni region is going to be. We need support not only from the NJ crew, but from Cadets everywhere!

Laura VanDoren, Please tell Donnie for me (since he doesn't use FaceTwitter) that when he talks, I listen. 40+ years of knowing each other and I am in awe of his history and knowledge. I learn so much with every conversation. To have him around mentoring the staff and talking to the members is going to make this Class of Cadets even better. How could they not be with DVD around. We live only three hours apart. We need to get together for dinner more.

Jacob Gall. Dude. Thank you. You hospitality by opening up your school to us was a 10! I hope we left it cleaner than we found it, because that is the "Cadet way." If you need anything from me, you know where to find me.

To all of those that donated to help reduce the cost of this camp on my FB page, your efforts and kindness did certainly that. More alumni need to give, even a little, whenever they can.

This group of Cadets deserve that support. Let's give it to them!

Cadets 2020 ... Can't wait!

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

Texas Audition Day Recap.

(from my FB page)

BRASS ONLY CAMP

Nearly 40 brass in attendance. Which is great for a one day camp. 

Wow! What a great day!! Matt Stratton and his staff are doing a great job. We are well ahead of plan with the quality of brass that will be on the field this summer. If the brass stays on this path, they are going to shock a lot of people with the level of improvement. The members have to stay dedicated and committed to the program.

Justin Moore and Ron Lambert both your levels of attention to detail are both professional and friendly. You can't have a great drum corps without a great admin team and you two, along with Denise Bonfiglio, Michelle, and the team all of you form is going to give us a fighting chance. Conversations that end with "were on that!" will make many people, and most importantly the membership, very happy.

Joyce Tsuchiya Litwitz Thank you so much for coming out and spending the day with us. Its great when alumni come to camps and not only watch the corps over the day, but offer so much help... It was great to sit and talk with you and get to know you more. Joyce is a part of the "first female guard alumni" and has so much history to share. I can't wait to see how organized the Southwest US Cadet alumni region is going to be. We need support not only from the NJ crew, but from Cadets everywhere!

Laura VanDoren, Please tell Donnie for me (since he doesn't use FaceTwitter) that when he talks, I listen. 40+ years of knowing each other and I am in awe of his history and knowledge. I learn so much with every conversation. To have him around mentoring the staff and talking to the members is going to make this Class of Cadets even better. How could they not be with DVD around. We live only three hours apart. We need to get together for dinner more.

Jacob Gall. Dude. Thank you. You hospitality by opening up your school to us was a 10! I hope we left it cleaner than we found it, because that is the "Cadet way." If you need anything from my, you know where to find me.

To all of those that donated to help reduce the cost of this camp on my FB page, your efforts and kindness did certainly that. More alumni need to give, even a little, whenever they can.

This group of Cadets deserve that support. Let's give it to them!

Cadets 2020 ... Can't wait!

Thanks for the update sir. Very excited for the 2020 Cadets!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FTNK said:

Makes my lungs hurt to watch. 

The light has gone out in The Cadets; we shall not see it again in our lifetime.

• Go to a camp, if you live close. Heck, drive or fly, if you really want a treat.
  • Offer to wash dishes or do airport runs. Offer to buy something the corps needs to feed the corps that weekend. Even a few dozen donuts goes a long way and is appreciated. 
  • Listen to ensemble and hear what they are playing and/or go to the parent meeting at the end of the day to hear what Denise has to say.

I bet you change your mind when you leave. 
Here are the upcoming camps.... https://yea.org/events 

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1