Cadets 2020

15 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I just got an email callback from the Cadets!

Nevermind that I'm 40 and never auditioned, but I'm pretty excited about it!

(Is GH somehow still bumbling this corps?)

EPV9yz4W4AAiH2X?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Oh - I thought when they say they are the “oldest” corps it meant something else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Eh, they've been given time to get the financial (and I suspect legal) issues figured out, since DCI doesn't have an interest in keeping them off the field if there's the option to have them on the field. That being the case, there's nothing they could likely announce yet until the process is a little further along, and the same goes for DCI.

My guess is that the scheme to create a new org for Cadets will be allowed, DCI will ignore their own rules that make a new corps (which they would technically be) compete in Open Class before applying for WC, and anyone who was owed money from YEA will have to suck it up and take whatever the bankruptcy court deems they can get out of the bones of the YEA organization. It's the most straight-forward solution to the situation.

On the upside, the number of 50 year olds who've been invited to the next camp are at an all-time high. 😂

“Too big to fail” is a real thing. What would it benefit DCI to force Cadets to go open class?  Makes no sense. You gotta do what you gotta do. 
I think this is indicative of a much larger, systemic issue with DCI. The present model is just too expensive and cannot be sustained much longer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

or... Cadets aren't a "new corps" but an existing corps simply transferred under a new umbrella!

I know - common sense "crazy talk" on my part. Which this thread is sorely lacking.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

“Too big to fail” is a real thing. What would it benefit DCI to force Cadets to go open class?  Makes no sense. You gotta do what you gotta do. 
I think this is indicative of a much larger, systemic issue with DCI. The present model is just too expensive and cannot be sustained much longer. 

people have literally been saying that since I sat at finals in 1978. And people are still saying that. Go figure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The rule about probation for any new corps has nothing to do with their competitive prospects and EVERYTHING to do with making sure their governance, funding, and member experience resources are adequate to the task.

No small irony will be involved if/when DCI gives Cadets dispensation on the probation period. 

they aren't a new corps. Oops.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, exitmusic said:

So that's a, "no."

What on earth is going on over there? The entire DCI community knows the house is on fire, yet complete silence from YEA.

ridiculous - nothing is "on fire" - rather GROWN UPS are in charge and working toward success

Cadets haven't had such a strong winter underway in terms of excitement and potential since 2014/2015; just my outsider view 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

It's been a while since I watched the show to remember the specifics, but I was there on finals night off to the side with other staff members of other finalist corps and it was clear to a whole bunch of us that something was seriously "off" with the last few of minutes of the show. We knew immediately that they just left the door open for the Cavaliers, which of course they did. They were lucky it wound up being a tie, IMO.

Yeah I remember that tear clear as day...it was leading to the company front. 

We weren't "lucky" about anything though so slow your roll. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Yeah I remember that tear clear as day...it was leading to the company front. 

We weren't "lucky" about anything though so slow your roll. 

Wouldn’t slowing a roll create a bigger tear? 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Slingerland said:

My guess is that the scheme to create a new org for Cadets will be allowed, DCI will ignore their own rules that make a new corps (which they would technically be) compete in Open Class before applying for WC, 

Can you refresh me on what two years the Crossmen had to compete in Open class, first when they became a "new" corps when YEA! took them over and second when they left YEA! and became a "new" corps based in Texas?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The rule about probation for any new corps has nothing to do with their competitive prospects and EVERYTHING to do with making sure their governance, funding, and member experience resources are adequate to the task.

No small irony will be involved if/when DCI gives Cadets dispensation on the probation period. 

It's not a new org or corps.  You're parsing too thin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1