Cadets 2020

14 hours ago, TwoValves said:

You can legally transfer control of a non-profit to the control of another non-profit.  That's not the same as a sale to a for-profit like Varsity.  

I know of two non profit childcare centers that were sold to one of the large for profit companies. All employees were hired, there was an agreement that a certain number of seats are to be used as scholarship seats for low income families. The company leases the space from in one case, a small struggling church and in the other a social service agency. In both cases it is praised as a major company investing in a low income area, and it has provided much needed funds.

Non profits sell assets frequently. What matters most is reporting, transparency, and what should go without saying, that no one associated with the non profit “profits” from the sale.

US Bands could probably be sold to Varsity, but the question I would have is whether it would be worth Varsity’s while to do so when it could easily start its own circuit from scratch, perhaps by hiring some of the folks associated with US Bands. 

3 hours ago, fsthnds said:

Varsity or others could look at this as an expansion of their present competitive youth activities they are already involved with. A sale would allow US Bands to be on it's own with no connection to YEA! (similar to the Crossmen "sale")

Then YEA could dissolve their Board and use those funds to pay off any outstanding debt or declare bankruptcy.

The Cadets then create a "new " stand alone non-profit with their own mission statement for the Corps. Now you are back to a pre YEA Cadets and eliminate the Hopkins stigma that has tarnished the organization.

It will all depend on whose name any bills/debts are in (YEA vs US Bands or Cadets) It all becomes a shell game just like the corporate for -profit business world.

Of Course this is "ALL" hypothetical

US Bands is, right now, a damaged asset, both because of their connection to the whole Hopkins regime and because of their underperformance the last few seasons. And if the purpose of acquiring USB for Varsity would be to drive soft goods sales (which is their model in Cheer), the number of participants would be key to success, and I’m not sure band directors will have the same feeling raising funds for their band to turn around and put it into a program that is ultimately, a money-making scheme for a venture capital group whose sole interest in their members is because they’re prospects for buying Varsity made and sold apparel.

That being the case, the spectre of Varsity’s interest seems a little more wishful thinking than brass tacks, but we’ll see what we see.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

From what you posted,Varsity becoming a "one stop shop"  for uniforms,equipment,etc. makes a lot of sense.

It does seem like it would be somewhat of a leap for them to get into the performance end (competitions,camps,etc.) of

either marching band or drum corps.

So, the notion of Varsity running a "profitable" NP band circuit makes sense.  Uniforms, gloves, music, licensing... How long before instruments and Travel services.  

Scale counts.  Varsity has the appetite, the deep pockets, and the vision.

In their perfect world, they "own" DCI, right?  Corps perform on the DCI "VARSITY" (NOT Major League) tour.

Hmmm...  It's like someone's thought this through...

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Varsity is backed by Bain Capital. Their aim is to try to dominate the high school cheer market, having vertical integration of all elements (costumes, t-shirts, shoes, etc). Cheerleading is the perfect medium for them. Band is more complicated, but has some potential if they can find a way to pull all of the elements together.

Pfft... POC.  It's just performers, fans, "Band Moms", logistics, "gate", and ticket sales.

Cheer moms - Band moms.  No difference.

Heck, just the MAKE UP of most cheer team participants requires their own equipment truck!  It's not different.

It's perfect.  For someone with vision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The power behind Varsity is  Bain Capital. They didn’t get where they are by paying for things they can get for nothing or next to nothing.  

US Bands is, right now, a damaged asset, both because of their connection to the whole Hopkins regime and because of their underperformance the last few seasons. And if the purpose of acquiring USB for Varsity would be to drive soft goods sales (which is their model in Cheer), the number of participants would be key to success, and I’m not sure band directors will have the same feeling raising funds for their band to turn around and put it into a program that is ultimately, a money-making scheme for a venture capital group whose sole interest in their members is because they’re prospects for buying Varsity made and sold apparel.

That being the case, the spectre of Varsity’s interest seems a little more wishful thinking than brass tacks, but we’ll see what we see.

OK, then I'll buy Varsity from Bain and restart USBands by hiring Boston Crusaders' staff as adjudicator/clinicians, grow it into a success and THEN spin it back to Varsity for triple-cost.

The check cashes the same regardless of whose name is in the remitter's corner.

Edited by garfield
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Pfft... POC.  It's just performers, fans, "Band Moms", logistics, "gate", and ticket sales.

Cheer moms - Band moms.  No difference.

Heck, just the MAKE UP of most cheer team participants requires their own equipment truck!  It's not different.

It's perfect.  For someone with vision.

I have known “Cheer Moms” and I’ve known a good number of band moms. Let’s just say I’d be more concerned about getting on the wrong side of the  cheer moms. I’ve met many a high strung DCI parent. I’ve been told things get pretty heated at WGI. I’ve seen angry parents at local high school band competitions. The police have never been involved. I’ve seen cheer parents arrested for settling things in the parking lot, and not much was at stake at this show. 😀

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I have known “Cheer Moms” and I’ve known a good number of band moms. Let’s just say I’d be more concerned about getting on the wrong side of the  cheer moms. I’ve met many a high strung DCI parent. I’ve been told things get pretty heated at WGI. I’ve seen angry parents at local high school band competitions. The police have never been involved. I’ve seen cheer parents arrested for settling things in the parking lot, and not much was at stake at this show. 😀

That sounds to me like the good old days of drum corps! Only it was the members who settled things in the lots.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Remember the one in Texas who murdered another cheer mom?  I’m giving that a wide berth. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1