Cadets 2020

57 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

USB will not be sold. They will be a program of YEA. I look forward to a strong USB focused on being a service organization for band directors and music educators in the region free from the stigma of being a piggy bank for the Cadets and related baggage.

Interesting perspective. They probably shouldn’t have shopped it around so much if they didn’t want people to assume it was “for sale”

obviously I hope it works out for all but I see the departing cadets the single “prestige program” of YEA! departing vs “baggage” In the manner your describing them. Without Cadets USB is just another band circuit. 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

As long as no one named Boris takes over at Cadets. :laughing:

well if his wife is Natasha...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Slingerland said:

By who? Varsity? They could create their own circuit free from the baggage that comes along with anything Hopkins ever touched. I mean, really - why would Bain want a high school band circuit founded and operated by an "allegedly" aggressive sexual predator?

Maybe I'll be proven wrong on this, and someone will pay YEA half a million or more for an asset whose book value, based on recent performance, is likely fairly small.

But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

buy what exists and then change it to meet your specifications is easier...people know USBands. not everyone knows Varsity

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Boston (aka Inspire) - I don't think selling it to them was a smart long term strategic move. Smart of Boston to try though!

Boston already had USBands most popular judge in house

13 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Most likely, they file Chapter 11, try to shed most of the debt that has built up, and continue USB for a few years hoping they can turn it into a self-standing business. There's no need for them to be non-profit, per se, for the reasons cited previously (individuals have no reason to support it,  and corporations and foundations aren't looking to give money to concert promoters, which is what they functionally would be). I'm not sure there's a viable path forward for YEA without the drum corps that justifies their existence as an umbrella company for anything else.

Maybe that is the point.

My crystal ball shows a couple of key departures from YEA! in the near future (Cadet alumni).  Shortly thereafter, it would not be surprising to see YEA! go down in bankruptcy, with the GH retirement plan going down along with them.

• Like 1