Cadets 2020

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

The severance payments you describe were, at the very least, disputed.  However, a news article claims that employer matching contributions to the retirement account were a valid claim.  Per the Morning Call, January 30, 2019:

"According to an order filed in federal court Tuesday, Youth Education in the Arts and Hopkins have reached an agreement on his claim that the nonprofit failed to make a matching contribution to Hopkins’ retirement account, as it was required to do.

An attorney for YEA, Paul G. Lees, said he was not at liberty to discuss the settlement. Anthony Andrisano, who represents Hopkins, did not return a call.

YEA board Chairman Doug Rutherford said YEA has never denied Hopkins was entitled to the organization’s contribution to his retirement account."

(Reading this now, though, I have to wonder how that could happen.  Since Hopkins was CEO/CFO, it must have been his own failure to make those employer matching payments to himself.  So he should sue himself.)

OK. I did not remember that one.  At least from the quote, it seems to have been resolved in some manner. 

9 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Looking forward to a conviction. Need closure. 
Recalling the first time I saw Cadets. 1978, somewhere in the midwest, maybe Key to the Sea in Toledo or something. Having no frame of reference, I had no idea the anomaly I was watching. Two corps, Cadets and Cavaliers, not making the top 12.  To me that was my normal. THAT certainly turned out to be wrong!  Edit:  I see Tesmusic and I are sharing the same brain this morning. 

Well, my last year was 1972....we missed the first DCI finals by 0.1 due to a huge overtime penalty of around 1.8. Would have been  somewhere around  9th without that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Not to mention that there's Chapters 11, 13, 7...

Not all of those treat creditors in the same way.

A presumption being made here is that Cadets made deals by themselves out from under the YEA! umbrella.  Not even GH would be so stupid.  And, frankly, because Cadets was not a  separate entity with their own Fed Tax ID, I'd bet almost all, if not all, debt was incurred under the YEA! banner.  In fact, a case can be made that YEA! was prudent in shedding Cadets as their biggest expense.  If their biggest revenue source, USBands, can't make it anymore, well, then bank-o it is.

USBands is still a strong circuit, even if not as large as before. Without having the Cadets to siphon off resources, it may be possible that YEA and whatever creditors exist can work out payment based on future USBand revenues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Well, my last year was 1972....we missed the first DCI finals by 0.1 due to a huge overtime penalty of around 1.8. Would have been  somewhere around  9th without that.

Ugh. Just curious how that could happen. Late season, you should have the timing down. So what happened?  That must have been crushing. How far over was it?

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

🤐...go for it Mike...lol

Not trying to pick an old scab. Is there a back story here?

8 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Not trying to pick an old scab. Is there a back story here?

Well like with anything. Even those who were there at the time there can be different views, especially back in the day. It's not like today when young people know pretty much everything about everything, back then ( the good or bad of it) kids , and corps were younger, you listened and did and that's it.

With respect to Mike, you posed the question to him, I probably shouldn't have answered BUT I may chime in a bit after Mike responds 🙂

I also don't think you are picking an old scab at all. You just asked a question.

Edited by GUARDLING

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well like with anything. Even those who were there at the time there can be different views, especially back in the day. It's not like today when young people know pretty much everything about everything, back then ( the good or bad of it) kids , and corps were younger, you listened and did and that's it.

With respect to Mike, you posed the question to him, I probably shouldn't have answered BUT I may chime in a bit after Mike responds 🙂

I also don't think you are picking an old scab at all. You just asked a question.

Heh... a few years back, an alumni corps had to make some last-minute cuts after realizing they would be several minutes over the time limit required by DCA for the alumni show at the circuit's championship.

A friend of mine said about that corps... "have they ever heard of using a stopwatch at rehearsal???"  :tongue:

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... a few years back, an alumni corps had to make some last-minute cuts after realizing they would be several minutes over the time limit required by DCA for the alumni show at the circuit's championship.

A friend of mine said about that corps... "have they ever heard of using a stopwatch at rehearsal???"  :tongue:

Wonder if same corps when competing supposed learned an entire show THEN timed it... and was way overtime... so goes the legend

As for Mikes story would like to know how much time was involved. Ironic as DCA title that year was decided by a undertone penalty IIRC. 

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Not to mention that there's Chapters 11, 13, 7...

Not all of those treat creditors in the same way.

A presumption being made here is that Cadets made deals by themselves out from under the YEA! umbrella.  Not even GH would be so stupid.  And, frankly, because Cadets was not a  separate entity with their own Fed Tax ID, I'd bet almost all, if not all, debt was incurred under the YEA! banner.  In fact, a case can be made that YEA! was prudent in shedding Cadets as their biggest expense.  If their biggest revenue source, USBands, can't make it anymore, well, then bank-o it is.

But do they allow them to take YEA assets? Maybe they purchased them from YEA with some kind of repayment plan that was generous.