Cadets 2020

A few thoughts:

I agree that Denise Bonfiglio is an excellent choice as director. Though I did not hear rumors as early as July about her being director, I did assume it would happen in a year or two when she was first hired. I only know her casually and found her to be gracious (how could she be otherwise since the conversations would have been about 27th or her parents) but I do know people who know her from her former job and in drum corps and she is not afraid to make difficult decisions and knows how to do it without beginning WW III. 

Regarding Darcie A. Even though I enjoyed some of these shows, from a design point of view Crown 2014 was a far cry from 2013. Cavies 2012 placed 8th and given the season was lucky, and it was a huge distance design wise from 2011. Even with the most gifted people, bad design happens. She’s probably learned from this past year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

psst...Dartmouth has been winning in USbands. the last time they lost the uh, girlfriends former band beat them.

Winning USBands is like saying you won the single A championship in baseball so now you are going to win at the Major League level. I don't even think the bands that compete in USBands would be competitive in BOA. In TX especially the bands that can't compete and have no shot at the BOA level go to USBand shows. 

• Like 4

Excited: April, Jay, Jon

Super Excited: Matt S., Denise

MOST EXCITED: CURTIS U!!!

• Like 2

Just now, Spatzzz said:

Winning USBands is like saying you won the single A championship in baseball so now you are going to win at the Major League level. I don't even think the bands that compete in USBands would be competitive in BOA. In TX especially the bands that can't compete and have no shot at the BOA level go to USBand shows. 

The same program has been top 5 WGI indoor forever

All said - glad the old team is back in place with some new additions - now they must prove it on the field. A great show design in all aspects is job #1 - winter recruiting is job #2. 

1 hour ago, ykw said:

Yep.  Par for the course.

When YEA disbanded C2 last November, Doug Rutherford's announcement was all about "survival of the Cadets" with no acknowledgement given or appreciation shown to C2 members, staff and volunteers.

You make an excellent point with C2 where the corps was disbanded. When it comes to departures, a thank you at the time is appropriate and customary and I agree. Dismissals can be trickier. I have learned from people in the corporate world who served on a school board I chaired, in the case of letting staff go and filling the position with someone else, which makes the current situation different from the case of Doug Rutherford, you can’t be too careful in what you say. In the new restructuring, some are being let go because of a “new direction,” others perhaps it will be due to artistic differences, with others there could be all sorts of issues. 

12 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I just got nightmares from hearing Jon Bilby's voice on that recording (I got yelled at a lot during my first year lol). 

You aren't the only one! I think I got yelled at a lot both years!

I can still hear him yelling at me to "Check the shape!"

So much respect for him and very happy for him. IMO he truly is the epitome of what a Cadet should be.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tim K said:

You make an excellent point with C2 where the corps was disbanded. When it comes to departures, a thank you at the time is appropriate and customary and I agree. Dismissals can be trickier. I have learned from people in the corporate world who served on a school board I chaired, in the case of letting staff go and filling the position with someone else, which makes the current situation different from the case of Doug Rutherford, you can’t be too careful in what you say. In the new restructuring, some are being let go because of a “new direction,” others perhaps it will be due to artistic differences, with others there could be all sorts of issues. 

In my corporate setting we tend to thank folks when announcing departures and then only focus on the new folks when announcing arrivals. Just our take on this - it can get dicey.