Cadets 2020

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Agree completely. Sorry but John + Jeff (for example) is a vast improvement over the prior drill situation. April is the same - she's one of the top guard people EVER. Same with Jay's arrangement - massive step up. 

It will be exciting to see what the team comes up with. I'm very confident in saying we'll see a vastly better prepared corps hit Detroit 9 months from now than we did in 2019. 

I feel as though Cadets likely won’t make the missteps they made this past season in show design with this team running captions.

• Like 2

From an organizational standpoint, I think this announcement is about as good as it could get for the Cadets.  They were in desperate need of some 'names' and stability and April, Jay, and Jeff certainly provide that.  Add in what appear to be some heavier hitters from other corps and I think the 2020 members can go into next season a bit more reassured.

From a competitive standpoint, I think we'll have to wait and see.  Design is name of the game now, and that is something many of these folks excelled in... back in the 90s.  And while I would love to see a return to that type of drum corps, 9th place groups don't get to dictate the course of the activity.  They're going to need to do more than just zag to get back into medal contention.

All that said.... I'm excited to see them 2020 and a bit more content knowing some of these folks have "come home".

• Like 2

My old roomie that marched Bluecoats in 2014 says Matt Stratton is the real deal. Him with an undoubtedly better brass book from Bocook already makes me feel more confident. Add an already great percussion staff and music captions appear to be on the right track. 

Visual-wise we’ll see. April sounded pumped on that audio, and she said she is bringing many talented instructors (and creators!) with her. They should be much better with her at the helm.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Design is name of the game now, and that is something many of these folks excelled in... back in the 90s.

It's not like April, Jay, Tom, and Jeff haven't had any success since the 90s. The Cadets were medaling pretty often earlier this decade until most of these folks left

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dans said:

I hope so Jeff. The Cadets have to stop shooting themselves in the foot with programming and design issues.

Look...18 was make it what we can since we had to start redesigning in April.

19 was...well...we had to start redesigning in May.

Now, if they get their #### together say, oh now, it's a lot less of an issue. Let's face it, there's some egos on this team.....that have years in the trenches together. I would imagine social messages is low on the priority list

6 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Winning USBands is like saying you won the single A championship in baseball so now you are going to win at the Major League level. I don't even think the bands that compete in USBands would be competitive in BOA. In TX especially the bands that can't compete and have no shot at the BOA level go to USBand shows. 

two totally different ballgames, and this team knows that. trying to compare anything DCI to the band world is stupid. And the insinuation that USBands under current leadership would award someone because of their ties is frankly insulting. Note...current leadership was said.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

You make an excellent point with C2 where the corps was disbanded. When it comes to departures, a thank you at the time is appropriate and customary and I agree. Dismissals can be trickier. I have learned from people in the corporate world who served on a school board I chaired, in the case of letting staff go and filling the position with someone else, which makes the current situation different from the case of Doug Rutherford, you can’t be too careful in what you say. In the new restructuring, some are being let go because of a “new direction,” others perhaps it will be due to artistic differences, with others there could be all sorts of issues. 

in fact in the HR world, when a company calls a former employer to do a background check, 99% of the time anymore all a company will give is the dates they worked there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyt said:

From an organizational standpoint, I think this announcement is about as good as it could get for the Cadets.  They were in desperate need of some 'names' and stability and April, Jay, and Jeff certainly provide that.  Add in what appear to be some heavier hitters from other corps and I think the 2020 members can go into next season a bit more reassured.

From a competitive standpoint, I think we'll have to wait and see.  Design is name of the game now, and that is something many of these folks excelled in... back in the 90s.  And while I would love to see a return to that type of drum corps, 9th place groups don't get to dictate the course of the activity.  They're going to need to do more than just zag to get back into medal contention.

All that said.... I'm excited to see them 2020 and a bit more content knowing some of these folks have "come home".

Yes. Back in the 90s; back in the era when they got no lower than, what, 6th? Yes. Drum corps has changed A LOT in the past 15 to 20 years, but it's not like these people have been living under a rock. Many  of them have also contributed to the change that has taken place. I am still maintaining my hard-line stance on being hard on Cadets until they actually prove themselves again. But they have much more of a shot with THIS team than any previous teams since, like 2014. 

• Like 2

How is it possible that anyone is seeing these staff changes as a negative? 

Good lord

Pretty much home run hires across the board imo. 

Not expecting a top 6 finish immediately, but they'll get there 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

How is it possible that anyone is seeing these staff changes as a negative? 

Good lord

Pretty much home run hires across the board imo. 

Not expecting a top 6 finish immediately, but they'll get there 

For as long as I can now remember, the one thing Cadets lacked were caption heads who had the experience and responsibility to stand up and say, No way this corps is putting this show on the field, not on my watch. Some really talented people allowed really awful designs to get “polished” when the dumbest DCI member of our group knew that the show had to be fixed and likely never should have made it out of spring training.

This is what makes BD and Bluecoats consistently great. The whole ###### team is responsible for what goes onto the field.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2