Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

My best student ran up to me yesterday and said, "DID YOU SEE THE NEWS?!? I'm doing Cadets and that's it."  He had been considering Crown and Jersey Surf.

Bocook, Sacktig, and Aungst have a bigger following than you might give them credit for... 🙂 

saw the same thing from a couple brass players posting on Reddit as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

I feel you, Dawg. I really do. In the 80s and 90s, the Cadets' field entrances would give me chills. I just knew the audience was going to be wowed. Enter Century 21, and this $hit happened:

2001: Juxtaperformance: (noun) (vulgar slang); "We have no idea what to do, so let's just grab unrelated tunes with no transitions and give it a 'clever' title."

2002: A pale reenactment of the 1995 greatness. "We matter more, because New Jersey is close to the World Trade Center."

2003: "Our Favorite Things?" Santa Clara's/Madison's favorite things. Then "Rocky Point Holiday" which stopped dead halfway through.

2004: Jethro Tull. I (literally) fell asleep at the Indy regional. That was a theme chosen more for a corps trying desperately to make Finals.

2005: Zone/Door: Without the performance level, that would have been hopeless.

2006: Zone Part 2. See above. Yipes. Remember the atonal (accidental) singer?

2007/08: So much narration that my head almost exploded.

2010: The stupidest concept sadly involving a corps member: "Little Geoffrey." Totally forgettable show with a great drill.

2012: A very high DCI muckety-muck said to me, and I quote: "Only George Hopkins can completely phukk up a Christmas show."

2013: Musically stellar; visually an absolute mess with those giant whateverthehells.

2014: A talented corps interrupted with lifeless music and narration. Sadly, their last good color guard.

2015: That uniform.

2016: "Clash of the Corps" was a national embarrassment for the 82 y.o. corps. I will go to my death convinced that this was the last straw for Hopkins.

2017: Leonard Bernstein's "Mess."

2018: Made me remember how great -- and missed -- 1993 was.

2019: Sadly, I thought, "Thank God they aren't at the Akron T.O.C."

I wonder how much alumni support they've lost. I really hope the best for them.

 

tactical-face-palm-sometimes-a-regular-f

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Tim K said:

A few thoughts:

I agree that Denise Bonfiglio is an excellent choice as director. Though I did not hear rumors as early as July about her being director, I did assume it would happen in a year or two when she was first hired. I only know her casually and found her to be gracious (how could she be otherwise since the conversations would have been about 27th or her parents) but I do know people who know her from her former job and in drum corps and she is not afraid to make difficult decisions and knows how to do it without beginning WW III. 

Regarding Darcie A. Even though I enjoyed some of these shows, from a design point of view Crown 2014 was a far cry from 2013. Cavies 2012 placed 8th and given the season was lucky, and it was a huge distance design wise from 2011. Even with the most gifted people, bad design happens. She’s probably learned from this past year. 

Darcie was/is the Artistic Coord. I talked with her after she was announced a year ago and my understanding was she was there to oversee costuming and set design.  Basically be the color coordinator for the production. It just seems everyone wants to blame/question her on all their 2019 staging/music/drill problems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Darcie was/is the Artistic Coord. I talked with her after she was announced a year ago and my understanding was she was there to oversee costuming and set design.  Basically be the color coordinator for the production. It just seems everyone wants to blame/question her on all their 2019 staging/music/drill problems.

I think many (myself included) are doing just that. Most of us are probably giving her too much credit for the failures of last year. I do know the steps were mostly her design and they were one of the highlights of the season- they did look incredible. The uniform was hit/miss for me (initial look was a hit, but the hats/open jacket look were misses IMO) but certainly wasn't the reason the show didn't work.

She probably had little to no say as to the drill aside from what she had referred to in an interview (wanted it to be to Cadets standards- fast and frenetic .. not her exact words). Unfortunately the drill design was incredibly poor and they tried to fix it but it was too late. I do blame the design team for not having the thought that perhaps they knew what they were already getting.

I think Drew had a lot of say into the overall design of the show since he had a lot to say in the interviews in regards to the design. He is no longer there so we will see what Darcie will do with the new team.

There is something she said in interviews to consider : They had design talks about what they wanted to keep with The Cadets and what they didn't. I have gotta think since there's a new design team that these ideas will be talked about again and since the team is considerably different there's the possibility the things they want to keep will be much different than the previous team.

I just hope they don't stick to the idea that they need a story to make a good drum corps show. I hope it's more of a concept than a story that they can build off of and create drum corps moments that are exciting and make the crowd want to stand up and cheer, which is something last year was severely lacking.

Edited by East9900
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Darcie was/is the Artistic Coord. I talked with her after she was announced a year ago and my understanding was she was there to oversee costuming and set design.  Basically be the color coordinator for the production. It just seems everyone wants to blame/question her on all their 2019 staging/music/drill problems.

Who was ultimately responsible for programming "Do Better," which is arguably the single worst drum corps production of the modern era?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

saw the same thing from a couple brass players posting on Reddit as well

Link please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, njthundrrd said:

Link please?

It’s in the main thread talking about the staff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I think many (myself included) are doing just that. Most of us are probably giving her too much credit for the failures of last year. I do know the steps were mostly her design and they were one of the highlights of the season- they did look incredible. The uniform was hit/miss for me (initial look was a hit, but the hats/open jacket look were misses IMO) but certainly wasn't the reason the show didn't work.

She probably had little to no say as to the drill aside from what she had referred to in an interview (wanted it to be to Cadets standards- fast and frenetic .. not her exact words). Unfortunately the drill design was incredibly poor and they tried to fix it but it was too late. I do blame the design team for not having the thought that perhaps they knew what they were already getting.

I think Drew had a lot of say into the overall design of the show since he had a lot to say in the interviews in regards to the design. He is no longer there so we will see what Darcie will do with the new team.

There is something she said in interviews to consider : They had design talks about what they wanted to keep with The Cadets and what they didn't. I have gotta think since there's a new design team that these ideas will be talked about again and since the team is considerably different there's the possibility the things they want to keep will be much different than the previous team.

I just hope they don't stick to the idea that they need a story to make a good drum corps show. I hope it's more of a concept than a story that they can build off of and create drum corps moments that are exciting and make the crowd want to stand up and cheer, which is something last year was severely lacking.

Amen! Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.