Cadets 2020

22 minutes ago, MikeD said:

The Herald News festival made it tough on the competitive bands back in the early 70's. Most competitive bands started on the left and exited on the right like drum corps. Shows were 9 minutes or even longer. The Herald News required bands to start on the right and exit to the left, and they had a 7-minute max. If you were overtime two years in a row you were kicked out. 

Moe Kazazian was the timing person. It was not a competition, but they had Dr Bernard Baggs do a sheet of commentary for each band most years.

They had a mass band number at the end each night, alternating between "Dem Basses" and "America, the Beautiful".

Sounds similar to a circa 1970s festival run by the Home News in central NJ at the old Rutgers Stadium. A bunch of bands, and only a few of them were competition-style.

And the announcer... I think he might have been a longtime staffer at the Home News... he would talk during the bands' performances. :tongue: "If you see something you like, give 'em a hand!!!"... stuff like that.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I think they and Newsday used the same program consultant who gave each the same rules. Dr. Baggs and Aram Kazaian were class all the way.

Yup, they were.

I spent many a lot of time at the Baggs' home, as Bernie Jr was a very good friend of mine in college. I taught Bernie Jr's drumlines where he was a band director after I went into IT in 1980., from 1980 through 1991.

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

either 2 Cadets former admin/board members (the odds on favorite), System Blue, WGI or the Cheering Company that's buying up a lot of competitive activities

I don't see WGI as being interested financially. Now DCI could be a different story although I doubt they have the necessary funds that YEA would be asking. A smaller loan from DCI with US Bands as collateral is also a possibility.

17 hours ago, MikeD said:

The Herald News festival made it tough on the competitive bands back in the early 70's. Most competitive bands started on the left and exited on the right like drum corps. Shows were 9 minutes or even longer. The Herald News required bands to start on the right and exit to the left, and they had a 7-minute max. If you were overtime two years in a row you were kicked out. 

Moe Kazazian was the timing person. It was not a competition, but they had Dr Bernard Baggs do a sheet of commentary for each band most years.

They had a mass band number at the end each night, alternating between "Dem Basses" and "America, the Beautiful".

I marched this a few time while in high school. It was a fun show. I remember it was in Clifton Stadium. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fsthnds said:

I don't see WGI as being interested financially. Now DCI could be a different story although I doubt they have the necessary funds that YEA would be asking. A smaller loan from DCI with US Bands as collateral is also a possibility.

I'm pretty sure it will be S. King and G. Pych that take over 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Algernon said:

I'm pretty sure it will be S. King and G. Pych that take over 

Two good folks right there. At least in my opinion, which ain't worth much.  LOL.

• Like 1