Cadets 2020

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Good grief. Or “maybe” they can lop a couple hundred K off the tour expense while giving the members an improved experience due to higher quality instruction, less road hours and more rehearsal time with these top notch techs and instructors they’ve brought on board

I am very comfortable with this approach - and I believe we will see the corps return to the top pack in 2020 

now now, he's just trying to be funny

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

A strong financial organization, great instructors, great mm talent, and extra time off is a winning combination.

2 out of the 4 is a start. Have to wait and see on the talent level and the financial situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

pretty good program, with a panel that does a lot for DCA and other places, thinning the judging pool even further from other places they worked

Well I live here and there’s a whole lot of sour leftover. This is the problem with having band directors involved in the leadership of the circuit. I can see they deserved to win - but talk to less impartial others and I’m not sure the MBA or whatever they call it has a particularly bright future 

Back in "ancient times" when I marched in HS (a nationally ranked band at the time) it was all TOB down here. I remember those championships in Carlisle, Hagerstown etc very fondly. Same with the big championships at Allentown. I worry about the "politics" involved in these local circuits that are popping up. Even the appearance of a conflict of interest can wreak havoc. I'm thinking a few of these bands jump back to US Bands or to WGI. Some did both/all 3 this year to get enough contests. 

We'll see how it plays out. There's really a shot someone could really take a nip out of BOA IMHO if it's run well

As you pointed out in another thread - no percussion or guard score is quite frustrating to say the least. Give caption awards! These bands with these top guards (Avon this season for example) walking away with no special recognition for that. Crazy. And such an expensive circuit.

Edited by George Dixon

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

now now, he's just trying to be funny

I honestly don’t find much of this very amusing. Last year they ran the corps all over the country and got little practice time. Fortunately they’re making some great changes. That corps caravan got back to Allentown last August with a boat load of issues and loose ends. I’m so glad they are taking a more conservative approach. I’m more concerned that the members love their show, have a terrific design and instruction, great big standing Os. Safe travel, nice housing and rehearsal facilities (also not always the case last year) and they become “cadets clean” - haven’t seen that in quite a while. 

I’m excited!

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

A strong financial organization, great instructors, great mm talent, and extra time off is a winning combination.

Absolutely!

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I honestly don’t find much of this very amusing. Last year they ran the corps all over the country and got little practice time. Fortunately they’re making some great changes. That corps caravan got back to Allentown last August with a boat load of issues and loose ends. I’m so glad they are taking a more conservative approach. I’m more concerned that the members love their show, have a terrific design and instruction, great big standing Os. Safe travel, nice housing and rehearsal facilities (also not always the case last year) and they become “cadets clean” - haven’t seen that in quite a while. 

I’m excited!

Quality > Quantity. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Good grief. Or “maybe” they can lop a couple hundred K off the tour expense while giving the members an improved experience due to higher quality instruction, less road hours and more rehearsal time with these top notch techs and instructors they’ve brought on board

I am very comfortable with this approach - and I believe we will see the corps return to the top pack in 2020 

cf. Jeff Ream's response. Your defensiveness is not dialogical, King George II

Of course, it's not like a ten day break is not going to cost $$$ (housing, feeding, renting of stadium, faculty travel expenses, etc.;) that is all out going expenses with no incoming (show credits and souvies) revenue. Only other corps following that approach this season are Seattle Cascades and Pacific Crest who both have more shows than Cadets. BD abandoned that approach several seasons back. This year BD is doing 6 more shows including championships.

Edited by xandandl

13 minutes ago, xandandl said:

cf. Jeff Ream's response. Your defensiveness is not dialogical.

Of course, it's not like a ten day break is not going to cost $$$ (housing, feeding, renting of stadium, faculty travel expenses, etc.) that is all out going expenses with no incoming (show credits and souvies) revenue. Only other corps following that approach this season are Seattle Cascades and Pacific Crest who both have more shows than Cadets. BD abandoned that approach several seasons back. This year BD is doing 6 more shows including championships.

Let it go for god’s sake. They are going to park in place and get better. 

• Like 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

Let it go for god’s sake. They are going to park in place and get better. 

I know you never brook anyone disagreeing with your decisions.

The whole "camp week" is premised on excellent weather (non-controllable) unless one spends $$$ for an inside facility (which will rarely be available as it is when college football teams are in pre-season camps.)  

Your criticism of the previous season is not my dispute. Using the kids for administrative experimentation is where I differ with you.

Although some of the new admin staff and BoD have been techs on championship faculties in far away season, none of them administered corps in championship seasons. And those who were administrators of corps were let go from where they were. Kids join the corps to perform, not to make a faculty member look good. I wonder how those eligible for auditions will be affected and to what level the corps will ultimately be effected. Those are not issues to be "let go."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I know you never brook anyone disagreeing with your decisions.

The whole "camp week" is premised on excellent weather (non-controllable) unless one spends $$$ for an inside facility (which will rarely be available as it is when college football teams are in pre-season camps.)  

Your criticism of the previous season is not my dispute. Using the kids for administrative experimentation is where I differ with you.

Although some of the new admin staff and BoD have been techs on championship faculties in far away season, none of them administered corps in championship seasons. And those who were administrators of corps were let go from where they were. Kids join the corps to perform, not to make a faculty member look good. I wonder how those eligible for auditions will be affected and to what level the corps will ultimately be effected. Those are not issues to be "let go."

So we will have a whole week of solid rain. Gotcha! 

in reality the t will allow three and four block rehearsal days and be key to the Cadets leaping ahead of a couple corps this summer

Additionally you’re saving major gas and vehicle rentals

but go ahead and be negative 

personally I’m glad they are being smarter 

$60 k in props didn’t do it- so for Pete’s sake let’s try informed design and improved instruction 

you also need to review Denise bio from the sounds of it - and several others including the new brass guy 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3