Cadets 2020

On 11/12/2019 at 10:19 PM, Ghost said:

Supposedly a corps was asked by the Cadets for a loan.  This corps said give us USBands and we'll give you half a mil.

So your post here may not be far from the truth. Hearing things.  Not back to my hideaway before the arrows start flying.  

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The whole purpose organizationally  for USB is to support financially and recruit for the cadets. 

It would be like SCV shutting down their corps and maintaining bingo ops because that darn corps is a money loser 

Yes. But I think USB has a bit more of a life to it than bingo. Money is reality, if The Cadets can’t balance their cost / revenue and USB goes away, The Cadets go away. 

5 hours ago, Algernon said:

And the alumni who got together to create the upheaval in Cadet-World remain silent, sitting on their wallets and dreaming of Elk's Parade. You broke it, you own it!

You have some nerve blaming the alumni for the fact that the ex-director is a pedophile and a serial rapist.  Let me throw “allegedly” in there for the purposes of this board not wanting to get sued.

I guess the victims are to blame as well huh. 🙄

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Yes. But I think USB has a bit more of a life to it than bingo. Money is reality, if The Cadets can’t balance their cost / revenue and USB goes away, The Cadets go away. 

I'm not so sure.  With what I'm hearing, it's possible that the reality is that USBands is now gutted and will never regain any ground given due to Hop.  It needs a new box, new wrapping, and fresh competitive blood.  It's obvious that the geography can support the circuit, it just can't support one run with that legacy.

I'm sure you're wrong about Cadets "going away" if they lose, sell, or shut down USB.  There are LOTS of corps that do not have secondary income streams and still manage to show up in Indy each year.  In a not-at-all ironic turn of events, the corps may be forced to compete "on the cheap" and remind itself and its members/supporters of a time before costumes and props when frenetic drill and favored reporatories brought fans to their feet.

The old guy led the corps into the "new" age; maybe it's time the new team leads the corps in a little reminiscence and remembrance that the phrase was not "Zig, Zig, Zig". 

Time to Zag?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The whole purpose organizationally  for USB is to support financially and recruit for the cadets. 

It would be like SCV shutting down their corps and maintaining bingo ops because that darn corps is a money loser 

USBands as an organization also serves young people in the marching arts, so in and of itself it could exist as a marching band circuit with or without the Cadets. It would then be on a par with TOB, Cavalcade, NYSFBC, NESBA, etc here in the Notheast. 

It was started as a total fundraiser for the Cadets, for sure, even being called The Cadets Marching Band Cooperative back in the 90's (CMBC). But it took off far more than its original scope.

I'm not saying it would be a  good thing, just that it is a bit different from your comparison scenario.

9 minutes ago, Spinning said:

You have some nerve blaming the alumni for the fact that the ex-director is a pedophile and a serial rapist.  Let me throw “allegedly” in there for the purposes of this board not wanting to get sued.

I guess the victims are to blame as well huh. 🙄

Easy there.

<deleted>

Edited by garfield

5 hours ago, Algernon said:

And the alumni who got together to create the upheaval in Cadet-World remain silent, sitting on their wallets and dreaming of Elk's Parade. You broke it, you own it!

4 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Ummm... so it is the alumni's fault. Since it is near Christmas I can understand why you would want to roll out that old chestnut. Yea... the alumni is to blame for the actions of one individual. Good luck with that.

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

How are the ALUMNI responsible?  Your unfathomable and obvious loyalty to GH is really shining through now.  

36 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

And how much are u donating and volunteering? 

Is Algernon the best user name you could come up with Hop?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm not so sure.  With what I'm hearing, it's possible that the reality is that USBands is now gutted and will never regain any ground given due to Hop.  It needs a new box, new wrapping, and fresh competitive blood.  It's obvious that the geography can support the circuit, it just can't support one run with that legacy.

Well, there were 61 local USBands shows  this fall in NJ, PA, CT, NY, RI and Mass, not including regionals and championships and shows in other states (they had some in MD as well).  I think they need to do whatever they can to continue to put the GH era behind them, but they seem to have a decent base to build on. Who knows?

• Like 1