DCI World Class 2020 Predictions Thread

44 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I've been saying this the past few years and it still holds true.  Here is BDs record since 2007

07. 1

08. 2

09. 1

10. 1

11. 2

12. 1

13. 2

14. 1

15. 1

16. 2

17. 1

18. 2

19. 1

What is next in the sequence?

There are those who will say: 1 1 1 1 ....

And those who will say: 3 3 4 3 ...

Pick your camp.

I won't ignore the obvious historical pattern, while at the same time rooting for my personal favorites.  Which has to include BD in 2020 -- we have a hometown age-out trumpet player there (hopefully) for next season. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 1:25 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Anybody here see the 2017 Steven Spielberg movie The Post, starring Tom Hanks, about the 1971 publication of the Pentagon Papers? It's a pretty good movie, if not as strong as the somehwat thematically similar Spotlight from a couple years before.

River City Rhythm did a newspaper- and journalism-themed show this year. Have there been others on that subject before? Madison used newspapers as props in 2011, but their show was about 9/11.

Here's a prediction question: looking back at your favorite shows over the past 20-30 years or so, since corps began regularly giving themes to their productions, which themes might you have predicted in advance that you would enjoy? Which ones would you never have imagined yourself liking?

SO Back on topic its hard to say what will happen next year until the Staff MErry go round stops..

I suspect Cadets have been approaching some of their staff members of years past and make a plea to have their services again.. Many instructors in many different corps that could move back to Cadets.. 

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

I've been saying this the past few years and it still holds true.  Here is BDs record since 2007

07. 1

08. 2

09. 1

10. 1

11. 2

12. 1

13. 2

14. 1

15. 1

16. 2

17. 1

18. 2

19. 1

This is interesting and does follow a pattern, but no one shoots for second, you shoot for first and end up in second. I am not a huge Blue Devils fan, but even with shows that are not exactly to my taste, I can usually look at shows objectively, and in most cases the second place BD show could have been first, and in at least one case the second place show probably would have placed third or fourth in the hands of another corps. 

Regarding this year, it’s still too soon for me to look objectively at BD’s first place. That usually comes after viewing the shows after finals. Lot easier to do in the Fan Network days. Now I have to wait until the BluRays are released.

On another note that I suppose could be a prediction, sales of BluRays have decreased since 2015, and the major culprit is not having the BluRays available for BOA finals and holiday gift giving. According to the person selling the DVD’s and BluRays, things look good for a Veterans Day availability. So, if you enjoy watching drum corps on Thanksgiving evening which was a tradition for me for many years, or the day after Christmas for the years I received the DVD’s/BluRays as a gift, we may have a November delivery.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

I've been saying this the past few years and it still holds true.  Here is BD's record since 2007 2006

06. 3

07. 1

08. 2

09. 1

10. 1

11. 2

12. 1

13. 2

14. 1

15. 1

16. 2

17. 1

18. 2

19. 1

So you're saying that BD will be first in 2020, second in 2021, first in 2022 and 2023, second in 2024, first in 2025, and third in 2026?

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

You were first.

Was I? SVC is tough as nails- they were only struggling (Third is a struggle?) because of design- I think it’s gonna be a great year for them. 

40 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So you're saying that BD will be first in 2020, second in 2021, first in 2022 and 2023, second in 2024, first in 2025, and third in 2026?

Nah. Eventually the pattern will break. It's just interesting.

I think that with them playing underdog all season but still winning this year they will make some changes and hit another score sheet homerun next year.

Also interesting that in all their years of being at or near the top that they have never pulled a 3-peat.

The last 3 years I used this and accurately predicted BD, SCV, BD to win.

56 minutes ago, Tim K said:

This is interesting and does follow a pattern, but no one shoots for second, you shoot for first and end up in second. I am not a huge Blue Devils fan, but even with shows that are not exactly to my taste, I can usually look at shows objectively, and in most cases the second place BD show could have been first, and in at least one case the second place show probably would have placed third or fourth in the hands of another corps. 

Regarding this year, it’s still too soon for me to look objectively at BD’s first place. That usually comes after viewing the shows after finals. Lot easier to do in the Fan Network days. Now I have to wait until the BluRays are released.

With you 100%. The fact of the matter is in the LOS era BD is by far the gold standard and it doesn't take just a great show but a combination of a game changer and a great show to beat them.

For example Cavaliers 2010, Crown 2012 and 2015, and Bluecoats 2019 were great shows, undoubtedly some of my personal favorites the last 10 years, but not game changers. SCV 17 was almost perfect, but sterile.

On the other hand Crown 09 and Bluecoats 14 were extremely well written but they didn't have the corps talent of BD. 

Edited by ThePlanets

46 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

With you 100%. The fact of the matter is in the LOS era BD is by far the gold standard and it doesn't take just a great show but a combination of a game changer and a great show to beat them.

For example Cavaliers 2010, Crown 2012 and 2015, and Bluecoats 2019 were great shows, undoubtedly some of my personal favorites the last 10 years, but not game changers. SCV 17 was almost perfect, but sterile.

On the other hand Crown 09 and Bluecoats 14 were extremely well written but they didn't have the corps talent of BD. 

About twenty years ago, when various "best of the century" lists were being issued, I read an insightful comment by a literary critic about one such list supposedly naming of the 100 best works of fiction in English for the 20th Century. He observed that very best books are only influential in the sense that bad authors are influenced by them. Instead, a great book represents the end of the line: the farthest that it's possible to develop a certain concept or style.

I wonder if we should think of drum corps that way.

• Like 1