The Bluecoats 2020

On 1/5/2020 at 9:47 PM, MikeN said:

Gotta tell you, the book to Jagged Line is one of the more amazing and awesome ones I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a *lot* of DCI music.

Mike

I mean, in 2018 they spread the tenors out for 30 yards for one of their features.

One of the most impressive displays I've ever seen.

Cadets tenors absolutely ripped for something like 7 minutes during their 2019 feature, and it was awesome, but they were packed close while the Bloo 2018 feature was a 30-yard-long high-wire act.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I mean, in 2018 they spread the tenors out for 30 yards for one of their features.

Cadets tenors absolutely ripped for something like 7 minutes during their 2019 feature, and it was awesome, but they were packed close while the Bloo 2018 feature was a 30-yard-long high-wire act.

To be fair, they had in-ear monitors to hear each other. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

That tenor feature was impressive - but did they really get rewarded for it...?
🥴

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

To be fair, they had in-ear monitors to hear each other. 

They started the season with in-ear monitors but they ended up being more trouble then they were worth. They stopped using them. 

4 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

They started the season with in-ear monitors but they ended up being more trouble then they were worth. They stopped using them. 

Did not know that. And I can completely understand how they would have proved more of a hindrance than a help. I don't care how good your electronics are, they aren't going to keep up with the sonic wave patterns of 32nd-note rolls at 180bpm. 

As for reward, I have no idea specifically, of course. It's all part of demand, which in theory ought to factor into the content portion of the perc score.

20 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Did not know that. And I can completely understand how they would have proved more of a hindrance than a help. I don't care how good your electronics are, they aren't going to keep up with the sonic wave patterns of 32nd-note rolls at 180bpm. 

As for reward, I have no idea specifically, of course. It's all part of demand, which in theory ought to factor into the content portion of the perc score.

I didn’t know that either, but I remember there were a couple of late season shows that Bloo brought the tenors close together, but that experiment didn’t last long.

Just putting this out there.  I know that some personalities on here are currently in contact with and participating with the corps.

If the leadership of the corps is looking to 'broaden' the idiom with rules changes and new instrument allowances... Please do so by proposing a new division of competitive ensemble and not by proposing divisive changes to the current (albeit stretched) idiom of drum and bugle corps.

The Drum and bugle corps idiom is not broken... nor is it outdated... nor does it need to be disbanded.  There are no ethical faults in the existence of instrument exclusive ensembles.  We need not force organizations to 'catch up' to our ideals by successfully passing highly divisive radical changes.

Sometimes being innovative means being more clever than all the others with what one has.  Anyone can just add more stuff... that's not necessarily innovative or clever.  I hope Bloo doesn't fall into that type of self serving and isolating naivete.

And with that... I'm excited to see what Bloo has to bring to the field in 2020.  But if my assumptions serve me correctly (and they may not), I find myself unimpressed by what Bloo may have been putting on the 'field' today.

Innovation within an idiom is infinite.  If we can't see the possibilities, then we aren't thinking hard enough.

Just some thoughts from an alumnus, fan, supporter and friend.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Yes, Bloo was in favor of adding woodwinds. Now it is no secret I am opposed to WWs, but to be fair, Bloo only wanted WWs as soloists or small ensembles, and they wanted to pull them from the brass section—not as stand alone WW players and Bloo really didn’t want to add another bus to accommodate another 50 members.  Now, I know ... camel noses and tents and all that,  but what Bloo was even more interested in, was the live sampling proposal that did indeed pass... so all in all, a win as far as Bloo is concerned. And that’s the tea, as far as I know.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Yes, Bloo was in favor of adding woodwinds. Now it is no secret I am opposed to WWs, but to be fair, Bloo only wanted WWs as soloists or small ensembles, and they wanted to pull them from the brass section—not as stand alone WW players and Bloo really didn’t want to add another bus to accommodate another 50 members.  Now, I know ... camel noses ... tents and all that,  but what Bloo was even more interested in, was the live sampling proposal that did indeed pass... so all in all, a win as far as Bloo is concerned. And that’s the tea, as far as I know.

It’s an interesting compromise of sorts. I could see how that idea would work to some degree. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

It’s an interesting compromise of sorts. I could see how that idea would work to some degree. 

2021 - It's only 4 woodwinds in the pit
2022 - it's only a saxophone octet featured in one number
2023 - it's only 19 woodwinds instruments, but the pit's too small, so they're on the field
2024 - we can't hear the 20 woodwinds, they all need to be mic'd. Oh, we can't afford to mic 20 woodwinds? Maybe we need to ....
2025 - increase the size to 200, so we don't have to mic the 50 woodwinds
2026 - hmm....our summer budget jumped $220k last year just because of new members, and there aren't more people in the stands, and now we're broke...

That, by definition, is 'degrees'. 😎

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1