Staff merry-go-round

4 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Hopefully a new director and brass arranger at Cadets.

I was going to say something similar about Phantom regiment. 

I'm Done with Will Pitts as brass arranger 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I was going to say something similar about Phantom regiment. 

I'm Done with Will Pitts as brass arranger 

I literally know nothing about him or his talents/skills other than what I see of his end product. He seems to me to be putting out less boldness in PR's brass. Like he's playing it "safe". 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I literally know nothing about him or his talents/skills other than what I see of his end product. He seems to me to be putting out less boldness in PR's brass. Like he's playing it "safe". 

Yup, his arrangements are the definition of playing it safe. There's no proper resolution and no emotion, and believe me, those members are trying to put as much emotion into it as they can but they're being given a very inferior book. There were arrangements in the 13-19 range of corps that moved me way more than Phantom this year. 

And to be clear, while their placement does sadden me a little, it does not mean nearly as much to me as it does to others in the phantom thread. All I want is for the corps to get back to arrangements and music that moves me. They could place out of finals for all I care, I just want them to feel like Phantom again

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I only know of him as the former drum major for Phantom and his commentary for movie broadcast events. I think people had great expectations for him given his association with PR, but I think he’s had a difficult filling the shoes of those involved with the corps in the glory days. Hard to say why. He’s obviously with a corps he loves, but maybe he’s too close. Sometimes it’s best to work elsewhere. Kevin LeBoeuf comes to mind. Though not drum major, he played key roles during his time marching for Crown, and he loved Crown, at least if his FB page is to be believed. However he is not on staff with Crown, he’s with Cavies and is doing great work today. While some can work with their former corps, but it’s probably not the best for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I only know of him as the former drum major for Phantom and his commentary for movie broadcast events. I think people had great expectations for him given his association with PR, but I think he’s had a difficult filling the shoes of those involved with the corps in the glory days. Hard to say why. He’s obviously with a corps he loves, but maybe he’s too close. Sometimes it’s best to work elsewhere. Kevin LeBoeuf comes to mind. Though not drum major, he played key roles during his time marching for Crown, and he loved Crown, at least if his FB page is to be believed. However he is not on staff with Crown, he’s with Cavies and is doing great work today. While some can work with their former corps, but it’s probably not the best for everyone.

It’s tough being the brass arranger for a corps that has a very unique historical identity, because in a sense you can’t win for winning. It’s like Scouts, there are so many alums who refuse to believe anything other than what they admire and love about the corps is acceptable going forward. The general style of brass arrangements now is so different from Phantoms glory years. They are now playing books that good high school bands are playing. That super level of complexity and achievement is just not what Phantom has ever been known for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Yup, his arrangements are the definition of playing it safe. There's no proper resolution and no emotion, and believe me, those members are trying to put as much emotion into it as they can but they're being given a very inferior book. There were arrangements in the 13-19 range of corps that moved me way more than Phantom this year. 

And to be clear, while their placement does sadden me a little, it does not mean nearly as much to me as it does to others in the phantom thread. All I want is for the corps to get back to arrangements and music that moves me. They could place out of finals for all I care, I just want them to feel like Phantom again

I feel the same - the 13-19 range of corps had some very strong designs and very enjoyable programs. Many of them quite musical

I enjoyed Regiment 2019 - however the quality of arrangements just hasn't been up to the quality we expect from them historically

JMO

• Like 3