Staff merry-go-round

I know Phantom wasn’t on par with where they’ve placed in the past, but their issues seem to be GE and Visual. They placed 10th in music last night and even grabbed a 9th in achievement for brass. I believe that the biggest issue is the visual design. Will Pitts isn’t the permanent solution for Phantom, but I wouldn’t try to push him off of a ship that hasn’t sunk.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I know Phantom wasn’t on par with where they’ve placed in the past, but their issues seem to be GE and Visual. They placed 10th in music last night and even grabbed a 9th in achievement for brass. I believe that the biggest issue is the visual design. Will Pitts isn’t the permanent solution for Phantom, but I wouldn’t try to push him off of a ship that hasn’t sunk.

It could be argued that, as program coordinator, his responsibility is GE (or hiring people whose collective responsibility is GE). 

We're also talking about 10th in music as a major accomplishment.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Their biggest issue is show concept. Same with Scouts and Cadets. Phantom is boxing themselves in with same old same old concepts that exist to continue to try to be the Phantom of old. I just think that the activity has changed from a show concept standpoint, and kids who are accomplished in the activity don’t aspire to perform shows like the ones their older fan base wants. They are recruiting kids who are moving up from non-finalist corps, and then losing them to the top six. They have become a feeder corps, and until they find a way to honor their past BY BEING EXCELLENT TODAY they will continue to struggle.

The brass arrangements being performed by the top six are light years more challenging than the ones Phantom is performing. It’s a totally different ball game. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

They had their lowest placement since the last time they missed finals, and have pretty much been falling for several years, maybe the ship hasn’t sunk but it’s certainty sinking, and Pitts has had enough time to develop, IMO.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

It could be argued that, as program coordinator, his responsibility is GE (or hiring people whose collective responsibility is GE). 

We're also talking about 10th in music as a major accomplishment.

10th isn’t a major accomplishment, but it was their biggest achievement of the year. I’d be hesitant to push that aside, unless you knew of someone that would be a solid improvement. I think this was the best arrangement from Will Pitts yet. He does some great work in BOA and his work at PR is improving (although not at the speed we’d all hope for).

I did forget that he was in charge of the program. I’d be in favor of replacing him in that capacity, but I still am in favor of him for arranging.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Their biggest issue is show concept. Same with Scouts and Cadets. Phantom is boxing themselves in with same old same old concepts that exist to continue to try to be the Phantom of old. I just think that the activity has changed from a show concept standpoint, and kids who are accomplished in the activity don’t aspire to perform shows like the ones their older fan base wants. They are recruiting kids who are moving up from non-finalist corps, and then losing them to the top six. They have become a feeder corps, and until they find a way to honor their past BY BEING EXCELLENT TODAY they will continue to struggle.

The brass arrangements being performed by the top six are light years more challenging than the ones Phantom is performing. It’s a totally different ball game. 

I agree with everything said here. I don’t like the programs that he has put out. I don’t have a problem with the arrangements for where the program is at right now. Once they are back on the rise (hopefully), they’ll need to make a change. I just don’t think that people realize how hard it is to find a quality arranger. Rarely do we see a group that finds a new arranger that takes them to the next level. We’ve seen arrangers move to a new corps (SCV, Crusaders), but unless somebody is about to jump ship for Phantom...

5 hours ago, fsthnds said:

Don't know on the director. He was handpicked by Dan Acheson and DCI

Speaking of which: how near to retirement is Acheson himself?