Staff merry-go-round

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Who are you? Other than anonymous and irresponsible? 

Here is a thought - let the organization announce changes then we can cross post them here 

It's probably GH lol.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Yes, but from June to near the end of the season, Boston was said to have a tough drum book.  Maybe tougher than SCV and the BD.  I also learned that nowadays, it's more about clean than difficulty.  So caption heads have to find a happy medium between clean, tough, and hopefully music that fits what the brass is playing.  (Not bad for a single valve guy huh?)

Well, its the balance of both since the caption is divided between content and achievement. I don't believe it is more about one or the other. It is about both. You won't get rewarded for one without the other.

• Like 2

Hate to be a downer but I don’t really see staff outside the top 3/4 moving around making much difference.  The top corps all have the top staff, and they are staying.

There is a shortage of staff that can propel corps into the 1st-4th range 

Edited by KPinCAL
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

Honestly I really appreciate how corps have stepped up their multimedia game over the last few years. Social media, pictures, video, etc. I only marched in the 00s, but I would love to have this kind of stuff from my seasons. Tons of quality rehearsal and performance pictures for the members to enjoy forever.

I've got mostly old school physical pictures that were scanned, and not very many of them. These guys/gals do a great service to the drum corps community.

Many of the corps have great photographers. DCW has a great crew too. Photography is my hobby and I do not get the shots that many of these folks do. If you want lighthouses, Christmas lights, County fairs, farm animals or family photos, I ‘m your guy, and I do get some decent shots from the stands, but good shots of drum corps is not easy. In many ways drum corps photography is more difficult than sports photography. You need to be able to capture action shots, emotion, and the artistry. Sabers do not photograph well, spinning rifles can be a challenge. In the end you discard as many shots as you keep, if not more. 

Something else I’ll add. The photographers this year seemed less obtrusive. I believe there were new guidelines for photographing shows and it seems to have worked. A few years back, some corps their photographers became as much a part of the show as the show itself, but they did not add to the GE!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KPinCAL said:

Hate to be a downer but I don’t really see staff outside the top 3/4 moving around making much difference.  The top corps all have the top staff, and they are staying.

There is a shortage of staff that can propel corps into the 1st-4th range 

I’d e pxtend that to 5 and 6 as well. Cavies and BAC are well on their way to being where they want to be and believe the folks they have on board will continue talking them to the next level.

• Like 1

Mr. Valenzuela needs to go. He has done very little/nothing to further the cause of Regiment’s standing. The BOD needs to make a decision to either go the route of Star and leave DCI to become a performing arts outreach or take DCI competition seriously. Fortunately they are on financial footing to do one or the other but not both. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

He's also a 1983 Garfield Cadet, accomplished band director, and basically worked miracles at Cadets since April 2018. By all accounts that I'm aware of, he's a wonderful director and it's a surprise to me he wasn't 2018 director of the year. 

Well said.

Whatever problems the Cadets have, the director isn't one of them. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, gbass598 said:

In what world does a staff coordinator have authority over a corps director? Isn't a staff coordinator hired by the corps director to put the educational staff in place?

And let’s be honest: Scott doesn’t have absolute authority like his predecessor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

Algernon is a mouse.  Don't you remember.  Fitting somehow.

Must not have gotten flowers 

• Like 3

Is this another topic dedicated only to bickering about the Cadets? Don’t think we needed another one. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1