Staff merry-go-round

I’m curious re an old guard staff change in Cadets from ‘88 to ‘89. The ‘88 Guard was 11th in Semis, 9th in Finals. April G. became Caption Head in ‘89, and they won best guard. Did she (they?) replace the staff from ‘87/‘88? ‘87’s Guard is probably the worst on a winning corps (a gift of 7th place) and we’re lucky that the 100 pts. didn’t include guard. How were they able to turn that around so fast?

Don’t anticipate much if any movement of staff between corps. The non-destination corps will struggle and the destination corps will have their pick of the litter.

Phantom Regiment, Madison and Cadets might consider taking a risk on some talented new young blood wanting to get their feet wet. With both BDB and SCVC doing limited tours there might be some young talented people there willing to consider a position somewhere else, but I don’t think there will be any big name movement between corps. 

• Like 4

There's two specific major-ish names that have taken the past few seasons off. No idea if either of them are interested in getting back into the game right now, but I think I'd consider Weber or Prime going somewhere to fall under "major."

And if they go some place, that frees up whoever they're replacing to go elsewhere...etc.

Like the dominoes from after 2016, but in reverse.

14 hours ago, oldestoftheold said:

I co-sign this post. Fiedler didn’t leave SCV until after the 2015 season. I remember vividly seeing him at Championships that year. 

Talking to the corps?  Interacting with the corps?  With members?  

I also remember seeing him on tour in 2015, just not doing the things he usually did.  He was always with the props.

I don't typically like to engage in who should be let go, who should stay, and other hypothetical thoughts about what a corps needs. I applaud all of the teachers and designers for every corps. This is difficult work. I realize many are looking to move up, or perhaps looking to find the right position for them. And the corps have to do what is best for their members and the direction they wish to go from a design standpoint. 

One thing to keep in mind is the limited number of "big" names out there. Not every corps can land what we consider a big name instructor or designer.  The few out there will likely keep working where they are due to money, happiness with the current position, what they are allowed to do, or a combination of everything. In some cases, when those "big" names have moved to new corps it has not always worked out.  It takes a long time to groom a staff and to allow their creative desires and skills to come together. 

Personally, I think there are a lot of young, super talented teaches and designers out there. If I were a corps director, or in charge of hiring staff, and my corps was looking to make some changes in order to be more competitive (and I don't think every corps needs to do this), I know I would be looking around the country for young, driven, talented, and creative people who can adjust and work with others. 

Good luck to all the teachers and designers out there. I hope you stay where you are wanted, or find the job of your dreams. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

This is really irresponsible IMO. If you're a Cadets' insider, you should let the organization and the people involved make their announcements. It's a very bad look, and very disrespectful to existing staff, to announce stuff with anonymous leaks on public forums.

"Denise" might not appreciate the hearsay and gossip. Good Luck to Ms. Bonfiglio and all the staff/MMs of Cadets.

Edited by CorpwithanS

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

She knows this actiity long enough.lol

Indeed...Drum Corps elite.