Staff merry-go-round

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

reading this thread makes me regret the "Labor Day" rule they put in place

Labor Day can't pass soon enough... 

I’d rather they just get rid of the rule. Labor Day comes too soon and summer passes too quickly.🕶️☀️

• Like 6

Could anyone please explain why this rule exists? Originally I was thinking it was there so corps aren't poaching other staff members so soon, but it doesn't seem like that is the case since there are rumors out there of firings and hiring new staffs already.

Corps members should be the focus here and it seems like the sooner corps members are aware of these things, they better off they are in making a decision that fits their best interest. Most corps members are fairly loyal, but I'm sure there are plenty that want to be taught by certain staff members. 

I wonder how many will actually make an announcement after the time limit has been lifted. I would think corps would want that news out there as soon as possible to add excitement and give enough time for the news to get out before camps start and build those numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

Could anyone please explain why this rule exists? Originally I was thinking it was there so corps aren't poaching other staff members so soon, but it doesn't seem like that is the case since there are rumors out there of firings and hiring new staffs already.

Corps members should be the focus here and it seems like the sooner corps members are aware of these things, they better off they are in making a decision that fits their best interest. Most corps members are fairly loyal, but I'm sure there are plenty that want to be taught by certain staff members. 

I wonder how many will actually make an announcement after the time limit has been lifted. I would think corps would want that news out there as soon as possible to add excitement and give enough time for the news to get out before camps start and build those numbers.

Can't agree more …. Most kids will stay loyal, but for those looking or interested in certain educators it only benefits Corps and perspective members to announce sooner rather than later

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

The Monday after finals in 2016, BAC announced that Gino Cipriani and Colin McNutt would be leaving Cadets and soon after it was announced Crown staff would be leaving and going to BAC. The rule was proposed after these announcements and voted on I am assuming at the winter meeting in 2017. 

I have no problem with the rule, and it does give corps some time to prepare for staff departures. That being said, the rumors are often out there. For example, In 2016, I began hearing rumblings big things on the horizon at a BAC home show in August, more solid information in Allentown, and all but a solid confirmation in Indy.  I do not say this as someone who is well informed. I say it as someone who can say “If I know it, everyone else must too.” 

• Like 2

There are usually a lot of moving parts still in play in the two weeks following Finals, and it gives the ED's of the various corps time to make sure that they've got all the i's dotted and t's crossed prior to making any public announcements without feeling pressure to prematurely make a change or agree to a contract amount simply to respond to public awareness. For staff, too, it gives them time to evaluate all the offers out there before committing to one for the upcoming year. From that standpoint, it's just good business sense for those on both sides of the equation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E3D said:

its Bland people. 

3 hours ago, E3D said:

its Bland people. 

Sho is! And, lotsa blandos, too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, East9900 said:

Probably to minimize the inane and mostly unsubstantiated rumors about staff movement.  And not only unsubstantiated rumors but to thwart some troller's from creating and spinning rumors just to stir crapola up.

I think a rule like this is kind of silly. But DCI and its members are in a way better position than me to decide what’s in their best interests.

After observing this thread for a couple of years, it appears as though the rule serves very well some insiders (real or pretend, I wouldn’t know) who want to show off their insider-ness.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, East9900 said:

Auditions begin in late November...waiting until Labor Day to make the staff announcements should not impact the decisions of individual members.

• Like 2

There is a pretty serious media opportunity for someone to monetize this arena. DCI Free Agency News.

In professional sports getting the scoop and making it public knowledge is a multi-million dollar industry. (Adam Schefter, Woj, Shams.., ) Granted in our little world the interest is not as great, but it is absolutely not against the rules to have a verified trusted source of something and making it public knowledge before the Organizations want it to be known. 

It's entertainment, We are all on this forum to discuss and pass the time, If we are dedicating this much time we are all somewhat fanatics of Drum Corps.

I find it strange that sharing stories is so taboo. Who are we protecting? A corps is going to fold because we know a week ahead of time what is already being agreed upon privately?

Just silly to me that this is where the line is on DCP and others arenas related to the marching arts... 

• Thanks 2