Staff merry-go-round

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It must be fantastic to know everything 

I mean

On 8/23/2019 at 5:28 PM, George Dixon said:

Whatever dude

i get it and you don’t 

Sounds like you guys are having a peeing contest and everybody else is getting wet...

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Remember when Jeff Ream said on the Cadets thread that you're doing the most out of anyone to stoke the flames? He was totally correct (then again, when is he not?).

Give it a rest and let people be. If the mods have an issue, theyll take care of it. They already took care of your personal attack on me in the Cadets thread. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Do you guys think that members will transfer from Santa Clara to Phantom? I’m gonna be very curious to see that. Transferring is what made Boston so good so quickly, not just the instructional talent. I have a hard time believing that a lot of kids will not stay with Vanguard.

Whether people from SCV go to Phantom has a great deal to do with how potential staff from SCV uses the first year at Phantom. 

You cite Boston Crusaders as an example. A great staff was assembled. It seems as if a good number of color guard members followed staff. With musicians there is no question the staff attracted many, and convinced some of the younger members from 2016 who had potential and thought of auditioning elsewhere to audition for BAC. Some just aged out this past year. I’ve never seen numbers to know how many went from Cadets to BAC, nor have I seen numbers of percussionists who marched with U Mass. Though audition numbers were excellent for the 2017 season, I think it was 2018 and more so in 2019 that Boston Crusaders was viewed as a destination corps. So what new staff does in the first year will be critical. It will be a challenge too. 2019’s 4-6 will be hungry to make the top three in 2020, 1-3 will not want to lose ground. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Whether people from SCV go to Phantom has a great deal to do with how potential staff from SCV uses the first year at Phantom. 

You cite Boston Crusaders as an example. A great staff was assembled. It seems as if a good number of color guard members followed staff. With musicians there is no question the staff attracted many, and convinced some of the younger members from 2016 who had potential and thought of auditioning elsewhere to audition for BAC. Some just aged out this past year. I’ve never seen numbers to know how many went from Cadets to BAC, nor have I seen numbers of percussionists who marched with U Mass. Though audition numbers were excellent for the 2017 season, I think it was 2018 and more so in 2019 that Boston Crusaders was viewed as a destination corps. So what new staff does in the first year will be critical. It will be a challenge too. 2019’s 4-6 will be hungry to make the top three in 2020, 1-3 will not want to lose ground. 

Actually the number of transfers of vets was far lower than what was rumored (or maybe expected.) Regarding the guard at BAC, Craiga/Labmaster/Brasso/I forget which but it was one of the regular Boston posters, if any of them can be considered "regular," cited that most mms in guard had affiliations with Blessed Sacrament of Cambridge, Mass. winter guard. The numbers from PR vets to SCV seemed a higher number than Cadets' vets to BAC.  There is no documented way to measure what rookies did or might have done. Lower economic costs (tour fees/sponsorships/increases in transportation costs and/or college costs) to mms and families are probably also a contingent factor.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

don't worry George. Remember what a capybara is.  On the DCI corps announcement page, Music City cites something that will surely distract your fencing partner Cappybara when they suggest a "Salute to Rodentia."

"and are perfect for the ensemble thinking of doing their own salute to rodentia."

MUSICCITYDRUMCORPS.ORG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I mean

Sounds like you guys are having a peeing contest and everybody else is getting wet...

Is it fun lifting things out of context?

Actually, although a good number of guard members joined Boston in 2017 (I seem to remember it being 14), the same was not true for brass and percussion.  With Gino and Colin coming to BAC, there was substantially more interest in auditioning in general, but I only know of two prior Cadets who marched Boston in 2017, and they both came from Cadets2.  With the corps leaping from 12th to 6th in 17, that is what resulted in huge audtion numbers in all sections with the 2019 audition cohort being the all time record for Boston.

There were some talented guard members who switched to BAC in 2017 to be sure, but they were only 14 out of 44.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1