Staff merry-go-round

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Just hire the best people.  This never helps women.  Usually, the qualified women don’t get the gig or the board position because they’re forced to appoint or hire the wrong one.   

Women are doing pretty well.  I don’t feel oppressed at all.  

But how can that be? All we hear from the mainstream media is how poorly females are doing and what a terrible country this is. You and my Wife would get along swimmingly, it drives her nuts when she hears people talking about how Women are oppressed and have it so bad.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Oh well, One can dream... 

But it leaves the question where is the Broken City team going? and who takes over at BK if indeed they have departed.

I think it's one of 2 Corps and not Mandarins that BC team ends up at.

2 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I find it rather disappointing (to put it mildly) that the Blue Stars do not any female caption heads or any women serving on the design team.  Yikes.    Is it 2019 or 1949?

Look at you, trying so hard.  I'm so proud of you.  Keep on being you.  Find outrage everywhere!!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Wow.  People get super uncomfortable when inequality is pointed out.   Reminds me of that quote... "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

The state of California finally passed a law forcing organizations to address sexist and discriminatory behavior.  The state now requires all publicly-held corporations whose principal executive offices are in California to have at least one female director on their boards by Dec 31, 2019.    This law will soon apply to non-profit corporations.

There is a big difference between a BOD and governance, but are y'all actually saying there aren't any capable females to be a caption head or serve on a design team?   Or are you saying Blue Stars has a right not to have any females in leadership positions?   

Fact: one of the most important youth organizations can do to protect youth is have a diverse group of adult leaders so youth have an increased liklihood of having an adult to talk with/confide to.  

Y'all can get angry all you want.  Speaking out against inequality is important to do.  I hope you reflect on your discomfort and spend some time thinking about why someone pointing out gender inequality makes you so uncomfortable.     Bless your hearts.

You raise many good points, BUT...

Do you have firsthand knowledge of how Blue Stars went about recruiting staff for 2020? Maybe they made an effort to recruit female staff, maybe they didn’t. I’m all behind breaking up they old boys network but there simply isn’t that big a pool of staffers who happen to be female currently. That needs to change. How we go about changing that is the issue, not the Blue Stars just happening to have an all male staff. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Inequality! 😂 of course there is. Can’t expect everyone to look and dress as beautiful as me! 

Your smoking jacket is rather suave. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

You keep insinuating something when the facts show there is nothing there. Put up or shut up.

Well I guess we’ll see in a year or two from now if he’s still around or like other cases, slowly removes themselves from the organization.  It saves face for both parties.  Just my experience on how things go.  I wish him and others well in their new positions.  

Again I don’t mean to disparage or hurt anyone’s feelings.  It’s just how the nature of the biz works and how things get nicely swept under the rug. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

You raise many good points, BUT...

Do you have firsthand knowledge of how Blue Stars went about recruiting staff for 2020? Maybe they made an effort to recruit female staff, maybe they didn’t. I’m all behind breaking up they old boys network but there simply isn’t that big a pool of staffers who happen to be female currently. That needs to change. How we go about changing that is the issue, not the Blue Stars just happening to have an all male staff. 

I’d love to hear any stories of women applying for drum corps gigs and not getting them because they were given to men.   

I tried teaching band over forty years ago and quickly found out it wasn’t for me.  And they wanted me to do it.  I couldn’t stifle my laughter when I told a kid to hold up his horn and he said that he was exhausted from a long day at school. 

I was done. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

But how can that be? All we hear from the mainstream media is how poorly females are doing and what a terrible country this is. You and my Wife would get along swimmingly it drives her nuts when she hears people talking about how poor women have it, my wife always calls BS

Edited by Brian Tuma
My comment didn’t add positively to the discourse