Staff merry-go-round

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’d love to hear any stories of women applying for drum corps gigs and not getting them because they were given to men.   

The challenge with that statement is that the overwhelming majority of caption head and design team staff openings aren't advertised - there is no merit-based system for recruitment, selection, and hiring.    You can't be hired if you aren't asked.   It's literally the old-boys network.

And for those asking why pick on the Blue Stars?  Fair question.  It was the first corps I noticed who have listed all of their caption heads and design team - have others?  If so, I would gladly compile a list.    Wasn't there a committee of women in DCI working on this exact issue?    I will gladly compile a equity report once more staffing decisions are announced.  

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

The challenge with that statement is that the overwhelming majority of caption head and design team staff openings aren't advertised - there is no merit-based system for recruitment, selection, and hiring.    You can't be hired if you aren't asked.   It's literally the old-boys network.

And for those asking why pick on the Blue Stars?  Fair question.  It was the first corps I noticed who have listed all of their caption heads and design team - have others?  If so, I would gladly compile a list.    Wasn't there a committee of women in DCI working on this exact issue?    I will gladly compile a equity report once more staffing decisions are announced.  

There were no women in Norwood Park’s hornline in the fall of 1971.  I walked in and said I wanted to play French Horn bugle.  And I was in the line that day.  

Sometimes, you have to tell them what YOU want. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And how do "we go about changing" this issue"?  

Organizations being intentional in how they set up mentoring relationships. Designers should seek to mentor a wide array of mentees, and organizations should promote and nurture that activity.

Also, the idea that "women don't want these roles" may be true. But it also may be that they don't see women in those roles while they're marching, therefore they don't envision themselves in that role. We face this issue in engineering in general and in women wanting to pursue advanced degrees in STEM in particular.

Calling out a particular corps, unless their hiring practices are known, isn't helpful. But I hope we all see this activity as one that could use more diversity in upper levels (design, caption management).

• Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Blue Devils already have their 2020 staff listed, with no females on the design team or caption heads.  You did not notice them?  They are the reigning DCI champion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add insult to injury. Name the only corps to try and bring out a WGI winds group only for women ran only by women. It's not that you just picked them, you've done it before. And if you really didn't think they werent fair you obviously don't know Brad. He might possibly see your comment and respond because he takes his job very seriously. 

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

:lle::doh::laugh:

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Blue Devils already have their 2020 staff listed, with no females on the design team or caption heads.  You did not notice them?  They are the reigning DCI champion.

on the flip side Cadets now have a female DIRECTOR - yeah!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Organizations being intentional in how they set up mentoring relationships. Designers should seek to mentor a wide array of mentees, and organizations should promote and nurture that activity.

Also, the idea that "women don't want these roles" may be true. But it also may be that they don't see women in those roles while they're marching, therefore they don't envision themselves in that role. We face this issue in engineering in general and in women wanting to pursue advanced degrees in STEM in particular.

Calling out a particular corps, unless their hiring practices are known, isn't helpful. But I hope we all see this activity as one that could use more diversity in upper levels (design, caption management).

You could probably start even lower level and earlier than that. What's the gender makeup of drum corps? Particularly, what is the makeup of hornlines and percussion sections as those end up being those who most often fill the entry-level tech ranks that end up being your brass and percussion caption heads down the road. (I seem to remember those tilting especially male, especially in the percussion caption). Hell, go deeper- is this pattern of behavior evident in high school bands? A lot of times your brass and percussion sections in bands end up being more male, and your woodwind sections (particularly clarinets\flutes) end up being more female.  So the candidate pool that drum corps most highly targets at its very lowest levels... tilts male. 

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1