Staff merry-go-round

7 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

That's a shame if true. It's to DCI's detriment to not have a percussion voice as unique as that duo's being performed by somebody every season.

100 %

9 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

That's a shame if true. It's to DCI's detriment to not have a percussion voice as unique as that duo's being performed by somebody every season.

Agreed, Mike gave BK its unique sound, also brought of its talent from Broken City. I think the new direction in percussion for BK is a step down IMO. This is a win for the Bloo Bangers indirectly as the talent that would normally go to BK will now go to the Bluecoats.

4 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Agreed, Mike gave BK its unique sound, also brought of its talent from Broken City. I think the new direction in percussion for BK is a step down IMO. This is a win for the Bloo Bangers indirectly as the talent that would normally go to BK will now go to the Bluecoats.

I think it's more of a win for BD/Mandarins/Academy, whomsoever will be picking up the Broken City kids this year.

Apparently all those Broken City members that have been marching other corps don't rate. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤭

Oh my, where will 3 of the 5 Bluecoats tenors go now that Mike has left Blue Knights? (For example) 

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I agree. Also my source is Mike Jackson, so I’m inclined to believe him. 😉 He has his reasons for resigning (and yes it was a resignation not a firing), but would like them to remain relatively private. He will most definitely be back in DCI when the time and place are right. 

• Like 3

Cascades made some great hires! Unfortunately, they way they let go their old staff members were completely unprofessional and heartless. They've also seem to cut ties to all northwest folks other than the percussion.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I think it's more of a win for BD/Mandarins/Academy, whomsoever will be picking up the Broken City kids this year.

I think they's still be more inclined to follow Roger Carter to Bluecoats if they weren't already marching there. I'm not sure those groups will see more of an increase than what they may have already had. It's a different technique.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRiddell83 said:

I agree. Also my source is Mike Jackson, so I’m inclined to believe him. 😉 He has his reasons for resigning (and yes it was a resignation not a firing), but would like them to remain relatively private. He will most definitely be back in DCI when the time and place are right. 

I mean everything is understandable.  He has a life outside of DCI and sometimes you gotta step back.  Sometimes you have artistic differences and your WGI groups are your way of doing it (Mapes and Grom).  Either way we still get the different approach in the winter!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

The consistent comment I heard about BK's corps' percussion voicing for 2019 was musical, musical, musical.  As a non-drummer it was great to hear something other than aggressive banging working out testosterone over-dosing coming out of a corps' battery. Wherever the dynamic duo lands, I hope their summer efforts of 2019 set a new direction for DCI percussion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

The consistent comment I heard about BK's corps' percussion voicing for 2019 was musical, musical, musical.  As a non-drummer it was great to hear something other than aggressive banging working out testosterone over-dosing coming out of a corps' battery. Wherever the dynamic duo lands, I hope their summer efforts of 2019 set a new direction for DCI percussion.

There were musical for certain and I think they got rewarded within reason. It's still a system that rewards demand in content (most non-percussionists can read this as ramming notes,) over musicality IMHO. The best example that I've seen of heavy demand (both battery and front ensemble) along with great musicality was 2010 PR. But I will again say that I VERY much enjoyed their book this year and the MM's did a #### of a job delivering it.