Staff merry-go-round

On 9/3/2019 at 7:44 PM, MikeRapp said:

So I’ve been at work today. Could someone summarize all the new staff changes?

Sorry but I don't have staff for that task. 

• Haha 5

On 9/4/2019 at 5:00 PM, GetOFFmyDot said:

Wow.  People get super uncomfortable when inequality is pointed out.   Reminds me of that quote... "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

The state of California finally passed a law forcing organizations to address sexist and discriminatory behavior.  The state now requires all publicly-held corporations whose principal executive offices are in California to have at least one female director on their boards by Dec 31, 2019.    This law will soon apply to non-profit corporations.

There is a big difference between a BOD and governance, but are y'all actually saying there aren't any capable females to be a caption head or serve on a design team?   Or are you saying Blue Stars has a right not to have any females in leadership positions?   

Fact: one of the most important youth organizations can do to protect youth is have a diverse group of adult leaders so youth have an increased liklihood of having an adult to talk with/confide to.  

Y'all can get angry all you want.  Speaking out against inequality is important to do.  I hope you reflect on your discomfort and spend some time thinking about why someone pointing out gender inequality makes you so uncomfortable.     Bless your hearts.

Fine. Push DCI into quotas. Once women are 51% represented as caption heads, you'd better make sure blacks are 13% represented. What about Jews? 2% down the board. Muslims! Atheists! Trans men/women! Look, how many straight white color guard designers are out there?  It's so tiring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2019 at 5:00 PM, GetOFFmyDot said:

Wow.  People get super uncomfortable when inequality is pointed out.   Reminds me of that quote... "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

The state of California finally passed a law forcing organizations to address sexist and discriminatory behavior.  The state now requires all publicly-held corporations whose principal executive offices are in California to have at least one female director on their boards by Dec 31, 2019.    This law will soon apply to non-profit corporations.

There is a big difference between a BOD and governance, but are y'all actually saying there aren't any capable females to be a caption head or serve on a design team?   Or are you saying Blue Stars has a right not to have any females in leadership positions?   

Fact: one of the most important youth organizations can do to protect youth is have a diverse group of adult leaders so youth have an increased liklihood of having an adult to talk with/confide to.  

Y'all can get angry all you want.  Speaking out against inequality is important to do.  I hope you reflect on your discomfort and spend some time thinking about why someone pointing out gender inequality makes you so uncomfortable.     Bless your hearts.

And using California as an example doesn't do you any good. Or haven't you seen the videos of the filth -- and I mean FILTH -- littering the streets and sidewalks? Yeah, CA sure knows how to legislate for the greater good.

#hit_a_nerve

• Like 5

On 9/4/2019 at 6:12 PM, AlexL said:

You could probably start even lower level and earlier than that. What's the gender makeup of drum corps? Particularly, what is the makeup of hornlines and percussion sections as those end up being those who most often fill the entry-level tech ranks that end up being your brass and percussion caption heads down the road. (I seem to remember those tilting especially male, especially in the percussion caption). Hell, go deeper- is this pattern of behavior evident in high school bands? A lot of times your brass and percussion sections in bands end up being more male, and your woodwind sections (particularly clarinets\flutes) end up being more female.  So the candidate pool that drum corps most highly targets at its very lowest levels... tilts male. 

Gender scores and quotas for marching band? Sounds like an award winning NPR series...

A woke index for drum corps? Good lord.

• Like 1

And one last thing: Do you honestly believe that TJ Doucette and April Gilligan would have stayed at (respectively) BD and Cadets so long merely because they're women? In the 90s, there were no better people cleaning DCI guards. Period. They won ALL the guard trophies from 1989-1999 inclusive. Add the evil males of Scott Chandler and Jim Moore, btw, who were invaluable. Ok, I'm (probably) finished.

And why hasn't April been inducted into the DCI HOF? Boo!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Tad_MMA said:

Fine. Push DCI into quotas. Once women are 51% represented as caption heads, you'd better make sure blacks are 13% represented. What about Jews? 2% down the board. Muslims! Atheists! Trans men/women! Look, how many straight white color guard designers are out there?  It's so tiring.

I don’t think people are calling for quotas, and the quota argument is often the weakest. Aldo, I don’t think that there is an “old boys network” at play but it does appear that way. If you want to look at it another way, many of the top instructors and designers have been at it a while. They are still going strong and doing great things. There are many great younger people working with them but it does not appear they are being groomed to be the next generation. This could create a shortage down the road. Groom the next generation and make sure you do have diversity. 

There is another consideration too. The marching members. Young people today not only value but expect ethnic diversity and gender equality. If you haven’t noticed, all marching members today are not all WASPs or future members of the Sons of Italy or the Ancient Order of Hibernians. The ethnic diversity is always increasing. The leadership, instructional staff, and judging staff should reflect the diversity of marching members. 

• Like 2

There are many great younger people working with them but it does not appear they are being groomed to be the next generation.”

Says who?

A bunch of Crown juniors were just hired to promotions at other world class corps.

There are constant staff changes even during the season. There are dozens of positions filled by new blood every year.

As far as the preferences of marching members, these kids and their parents care about getting world class instruction and being competitive on the field. Who cares what race or gender an instructor is?

Any marcher who picks a corps because of anything other than the above two criteria is doing it wrong.

Make sure you have diversity? How about make sure your instructors can find their butt with both hands?

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

There is another consideration too. The marching members. Young people today not only value but expect ethnic diversity and gender equality. If you haven’t noticed, all marching members today are not all WASPs or future members of the Sons of Italy or the Ancient Order of Hibernians. The ethnic diversity is always increasing. The leadership, instructional staff, and judging staff should reflect the diversity of marching members. 

PREACH

Diversity in drum corps isn't for some old white dude logging on to DCP to vent about why Madison isn't wearing spats anymore. It's about the young people who are marching today and who are marching in future years. It's about enabling and encouraging a diverse group of future designers and caption managers. 

It's nice to look at your instructors and see some (especially in management) that look like you.

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

And why hasn't April been inducted into the DCI HOF? Boo!

Yes, Yes, Yes!  She was such the force of change in colorguard beginning in the late 80s and has had an influence ever since.  She may not have been the first to put a guard in uniforms to portray a character, but she led the team that figured out how to do it better than everyone else.

Can't wait to see what she does again - sometimes that perspective of being away can add so much more to the work.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

PREACH

Diversity in drum corps isn't for some old white dude logging on to DCP to vent about why Madison isn't wearing spats anymore. It's about the young people who are marching today and who are marching in future years. It's about enabling and encouraging a diverse group of future designers and caption managers. 

It's nice to look at your instructors and see some (especially in management) that look like you.

Kids are FREE to choose whichever corps they want to audition for.  If they want to make their choices based on staff diversity, then that’s fine.  

Encouraging a diverse group of future designers and caption managers is a decent idea.  It’s when you start crossing the line into ENABLING and quotas, that I have a problem with. 

Show me some proof that women and minorities are currently being oppressed and held back in the ranks of corps leadership.

• Like 2