Staff merry-go-round

4 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Staff and props ARE NOT the main driver in tuition fees for corps members. This has been stated hundreds of times on DCP alone. Travel, insurance, food, fuel, housing etc are the bulk of corps budgets.

Now back to the inane and dumb debate over whether your potty plumbing should be a determining factor in being offered a staff position.

Thanks for the keen insight. Spoken like a true corps director. What the corps do not raise via corporate sponsorship/fundraising will end up being paid for by the students. The cost for an additional vehicle, staff to maintain said props is just not that easily absorbed. Why do you think students pay thousands of dollars to march? Just because you say it’s been stated to the contrary on DCP doesn’t make it true.

Edited by Sutasaurus

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

And what has that all that got to do with diversity of members and staffing?  Apparently you missed my point.

Perhaps you need to re-read my statements. Money has EVERYTHING to do with running a DCI finalist corps. Not every student can afford to play drum corps because of the costs involved. I am addressing economic diversity. You may have had the good fortune to have parents who footed the bill for your marching experience but many very talented students don’t have those means. My point is make DCI more economically feasible for more people and diversity will follow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Perhaps you need to re-read my statements. Money has EVERYTHING to do with running a DCI finalist corps. Not every student can afford to play drum corps because of the costs involved. I am addressing economic diversity. You may have had the good fortune to have parents who footed the bill for your marching experience but many very talented students don’t have those means. My point is make DCI more economically feasible for more people and diversity will follow.

I wasn’t speaking to economic diversity and I don’t believe the subject of diversity in the postings here were looking at economics so much as they were looking at social diversity; lgbqt, minorities and so on and the opportunities (as mm’s or instructional and design staff and management) that are available, or soon hope to be.  By the way, I had to forego traveling to nationals because I couldn’t afford it.  I paid my own way to march.  No one, parents included, helped fund me.  Diversity will come about organically as younger generations begin to progress up the ranks, so to speak, into design and instructional positions and in management.  We are seeing the beginnings of this now.

7 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I wasn’t speaking to economic diversity and I don’t believe the subject of diversity in the postings here were looking at economics so much as they were looking at social diversity; lgbqt, minorities and so on and the opportunities (as mm’s or instructional and design staff and management) that are available, or soon hope to be.  By the way, I had to forego traveling to nationals because I couldn’t afford it.  I paid my own way to march.  No one, parents included, helped fund me.  Diversity will come about organically as younger generations begin to progress up the ranks, so to speak, into design and instructional positions and in management.  We are seeing the beginnings of this now.

Ethnic diversity and finances go hand in hand. Sutasaurus is on the money in this regard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I applaud your ability to finance your marching experience. Just like college, when you pay your way you get more out of the experience. I too financed my way thru years of marching. 

Unfortunately, diversity isn’t organic, it’s a noble idea  but not a reality. Especially in DCI’s case. It’s pay to play. Why have so many corps become inactive? The cost to be competitive in DCI has gotten outta control and because of this, many potential marching members will not have the opportunities that we had. DCI as an organization and it’s governing body need to open it’s arms to drum corps in all it’s diversity, financial diversity included. That’s when you’ll see    a more inclusive activity.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 2