Staff merry-go-round

23 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Of course I'm right.....:biggrin:

None of you are "right".  Money is fungible, so you cannot make absolute proclamations of fact about which corps expenses cause member dues to rise vs. increasing other sources of corps income.

You are all entitled to their opinions, though.  (So am I.  My opinion is that regardless of who pays, additional truckloads of props make the activity more expensive.)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

What is the point?  

World domination.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, East9900 said:

Ahhhh. Makes perfect sense why I missed it. Don't blame him a bit for leaving. Also explains why he didn't include it in his resume lol.

Wasn’t Shane involved with CWP at one time?  Thought I remembered that, but maybe I’m mistaken.

I remember when he was announced as part of Cadets design team back in 2017.  Seemed like some were saying he was a genius, and others claimed he was too old.  

17 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Thanks for the keen insight. Spoken like a true corps director. What the corps do not raise via corporate sponsorship/fundraising will end up being paid for by the students. The cost for an additional vehicle, staff to maintain said props is just not that easily absorbed. Why do you think students pay thousands of dollars to march? Just because you say it’s been stated to the contrary on DCP doesn’t make it true.

Even $3K fees at BD in 1984 wouldn't've covered the budget for that year by itself.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

well - the first Fall 2017 design meeting started...

he wasn't able to say a word without being interrupted by he-who-knows-all

then he & his beard left, never to return

(the way I picture it)

I picture it much like you do except for I imagine this reaction as he left. giphy.gif

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Many corps have become inactive because of many other choices of activities for kids today.  BITD when there were many corps around (about 140 in eastern Massachusetts alone in the 70's) there were limited recreational/extracurricular activities available for kids.  There are very few corps remaining in the area but there are lots of other activities, sporting and otherwise, so dilution of participants eliminated lots of corps.  It is not one thing by itself that inhibits diversity.  You are talking about economic diversity and there is certainly that aspect to consider and I appreciate you continuing to make that point.  However you are disagreeing with me on that point when I was responding to another point and I wasn't arguing with you on your point.  I I don't believe what you are saying is what the OP was bring up.  The question initiated was asking why there are no (or few) women in positions as designers, caption heads and corps directors.  Expanding on that point would be bringing up why there are no other or few other ethnically divers staffs.  So it really was not about economic diversity or opportunity for MM;s as much as it was for corps staffing in key positions.  My point was that it will get there, over time, organically (not a "noble" idea but a reality) as corps become more diverse (and they are) and MM;'s move to instructional positions, design positions or management positions in corps.

We both make our respective points. I maintain the notion that when DCI becomes “more affordable” you will probably see more people become involved,  including women and minorities in marching, teaching and corps management roles. I realize drum corps is a niche activity, but I believe there is enough interest to support a more inclusive approach. The sad part is that DCI is pretty much the only game in town. Not sure if you remember back to the days before DCI. American Legion, VFW posts ran the competitions. People were fed up with the politics that ran pretty rampant within those circuits and so DCI was formed. DCI was the answer to the problems of AL and VFW. Could DCI’s days be numbered?

I am NOT saying DCI is corrupt, but it appears that people are having issues with how corps pick and choose their staffs ( an effort that is pretty much dictated by DCI ). Is the umbrella organization doing enough to encourage diversity within it’s membership by making decisions that continually inflate the cost to field a competitive corps?I’m not so sure.  If you make the activity more affordable to more people, you give new folks the opportunity to participate in drum corps in all capacities.

As long as DCI remains a very expensive pay to play activity the gears of diversity will grind very slowly.

Edited by Sutasaurus

The only people who should be upset about how the teaching staff are selected are fans of the corps that finished outside of the top 12. Who cares what the color of their skin is or anything else for that matter? If they can teach, that’s good enough for me.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The only people who should be upset about how the teaching staff are selected are fans of the corps that finished outside of the top 12. Who cares what the color of their skin is or anything else for that matter? If they can teach, that’s good enough for me.

But  unfortunately that isnt enough today. Organizations compromise qualifications and expectations in order to become more diverse, and it's a darn shame. Can you imagine what some of these whackjob crazy people would say if they looked at the demographics of the drum corp activity? 

• Like 1