Staff merry-go-round

Here is how much an idiot I am: I continue to jump on here once or twice a day expecting info and discussion of staff changes.

Alternative business models for drum corps is an interesting topic. Shouldn’t it prompt a new thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I’m sorry Mr. Ream, you’re wrong on this point. I may not care for the direction of today’s show design but I love drum corps. So much so, that I’m offering my ideas on how to get more people involved in the activity.

Please don’t speak for me and I’ll afford you the same courtesy.

Best regards,

Suta

Hmmmm

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Do you really believe regionally will attract the support, the members and will change cost that much? Take a bus out for even a few days is many thousands of dollars, feeding people does not change unless you are sending them home like 40 years ago, costuming/uniforms wont change . Staff cost, no change. As for show types, these kids love what they are doing and want nothing less, as we did BITD.

AS I said these members today have way more choices than we did as young people and they are just not looking for something to do.

Is cost crazy to march in Drum Corps , YES it is BUT what activity can you go away for 3 months, food and transportation for 3 months, instruction, costuming, equipment etc etc for the cost. Being a dancing little bumble Bee in a little kids dance recital is also over the top these days and the cost of 1 dance number for 1 performance can be more than uniforms for a season for a MM. Welcome to 2019

I do believe ( as you said )you may see in addition to what we have now an evolution ( which has started ) ( Sound sport Type ) whether it's on a field or not I'll reserve my opinions on that at the moment. I do believe though it may not be what you might be thinking.

Yes, it is an evolution that’s leaving kids that can’t afford the $$$$$$$$$ to march in DCI sanctioned organizations out in the cold. Not everything has to be measured in DCI dollars.  There is economy in scale. What is the objection to start up drum corps? These organizations provide a starting point for many. If funds and desire permit then that student/instructor can ascend the ranks of they desire but at least they had the chance to try this activity without going into major debt.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

suspended once, had a post or 20 removed. but fighting a cold, and irriitable today, so i choose carefully before i type

Run while you can Jeff, there's no escaping the tag team duo of Continental and Sutasaurus once they get started 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Run while you can Jeff, there's no escaping the tag team duo of Continental and Sutasaurus once they get started 😂😂

May return the favor???

Hmmmmm.

19 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Yes, it is an evolution that’s leaving kids that can’t afford the $$$$$$$$$ to march in DCI sanctioned organizations out in the cold. Not everything has to be measured in DCI dollars.  There is economy in scale. What is the objection to start up drum corps? These organizations provide a starting point for many. If funds and desire permit then that student/instructor can ascend the ranks of they desire but at least they had the chance to try this activity without going into major debt.

Again I will refer you to many things of the past that can not survive in todays world. Even a simple things like Boy Scouts of America. Look at membership from the 60s and 70 and look today. Different world

Objection to start up Drum corps? None at all, ever try it? how about a percussion line only, a guard only and I mean start up in 2019 world not BITD

You also ignored what I said about a simple dance recital. I have friends with kids under 10 that have had to spend thousands for a 1 or 2 night recital. and way more than that for the teen age child who decided they wanted to go into dance competitions

Edited by GUARDLING

13 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Again I will refer you to many things of the past that can not survive in todays world. Even a simple things like Boy Scouts of America. Look at membership from the 60s and 70 and look today. Different world

Objection to start up Drum corps? None at all, ever try it? how about a percussion line only, a guard only and I mean start up in 2019 world not BITD

You also ignored what I said about a simple dance recital. I have friends with kids under 10 that have had to spend thousands for a 1 or 2 night recital. and way more than that for the teen age child who decided they wanted to go into dance competitions

I didn’t ignore anything you posted. Ever work/volunteer in a not for profit????? Things can get accomplished today on a smaller budget than a DCI finalists’ budget. It can be done.

i’m happy your friends are providing arts education for their children. Very fortunate.

I volunteer @ a pantry that supplies food for over five hundred families who don’t know where their next meals are coming from. These folks can’t afford basic things let alone arts education for their kids. Wouldn’t it be nice if those kids had the same opportunity as your friends’ kids? 

We are looking at this activity through very different lenses.

16 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I didn’t ignore anything you posted. Ever work/volunteer in a not for profit????? Things can get accomplished today on a smaller budget than a DCI finalists’ budget. It can be done.

i’m happy your friends are providing arts education for their children. Very fortunate.

I volunteer @ a pantry that supplies food for over five hundred families who don’t know where their next meals are coming from. These folks can’t afford basic things let alone arts education for their kids. Wouldn’t it be nice if those kids had the same opportunity as your friends’ kids? 

We are looking at this activity through very different lenses.

Yes I have worked for a non profit and to survive they had to totally think out of the box and realize that what worked yesterday was not going to move them forward...

If you think it can be done and kids today want this AND you think funds can be acquired, you need to let someone take the reigns and do it. It takes money and lots of it to start the very basic ( as I said ) guard or percussion group , let alone a full drum corps But HEY go for it, I do know what its like to start  a group and it is far from the days of lets find a church basement for free and get a few kids in tee shirts. 

Can there be community instruction on the arts? Sure, Cadets and Boston are doing this as well as BD etc etc. Making a drum corps is quite another story

There has also been corps who have given tuition free to some individuals. Corps have given over the years opportunity to those either deserving or who have the desire to work hard and contribute to what is needed for themselves. Corps , guards and percussion lines have also gone bust by some of the members because of good hearted directors who were taken advantage of...FACT!

Thanks for the conversation. We will have to agree to disagree I suppose. This is what makes the world go round as well as makes people think..one way or another 🙂

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes I have worked for a non profit and to survive they had to totally think out of the box and realize that what worked yesterday was not going to move them forward...

If you think it can be done and kids today want this AND you think funds can be acquired, you need to let someone take the reigns and do it. It takes money and lots of it to start the very basic ( as I said ) guard or percussion group , let alone a full drum corps But HEY go for it, I do know what its like to start  a group and it is far from the days of lets find a church basement for free and get a few kids in tee shirts. 

Can there be community instruction on the arts? Sure, Cadets and Boston are doing this as well as BD etc etc. Making a drum corps is quite another story

There has also been corps who have given tuition free to some individuals. Corps have given over the years opportunity to those either deserving or who have the desire to work hard and contribute to what is needed for themselves. Corps , guards and percussion lines have also gone bust by some of the members because of good hearted directors who were taken advantage of...FACT!

Thanks for the conversation. We will have to agree to disagree I suppose. This is what makes the world go round as well as makes people think..one way or another 🙂

And I thank you for a thought provoking conversation. Much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Yes, it is expensive to operate a circus. It’s a shame that's what modern day drum corps has become...a traveling circus... props included. 

Getting back to the original debate, if a regional model returned to drum corps, more local units would be able to prosper This would offer opportunities to a whole new raft of women, people of color and LGBTQ individuals. Let the winners of the regional competitions  go to finals. The national touring model is stunting the growth of the activity. DCI was built on local organizations and then they were forgotten.

The local units mostly died out decades ago. Competitive HS bands...thousands of them nationwide...took their place. There is just no driving need or interest in resurrecting that old model.

DCI was not built on local corps. It was built by the top corps. They let local corps compete, but they were not the impetus for DCI.

• Thanks 2