Staff merry-go-round

I was just about ready to give up on this topic thread (thanks MINT for the comprehensive staff change list in another thread), when I read this story in The New Yorker on fans, and their potential for impact on the mediums they follow. Made me wonder about all of the folks here, come together, for a united cause.

I read logical explanations of business models, of inclusion, of safety protocols, even some plausible, if unlikely, notions about desired music and show themes. I read that in Drum Corps International's latest post-season survey, Drum Corps Planet is mentioned as an information source. What if, I have been thinking, consensus was gained around some/any of these over-arching topics, and presented as entree to a DCI board seat? Representation. Official recognition of the minds, and efforts, expended here 365/24.

To the article: “When it comes to stans (Eminem's moniker for stalker fans) and how they operate on social media, it’s crazy to witness,” .... “These people really think that they’re doing some due diligence by the (medium).” Are you? Are WE? Is our pastime, arm-chair quarterbacking, back seat driving, unsolicited advice, due diligence? Might it resonate if coalesced, and presented professionally?

"Now that couch potatoes have social media, they have risen up and become active, opinionated participants. As a result, movie studios and TV showrunners have to cater to subsets of diehard devotees, who expect to have a say in how their favorite properties are handled." Us, too? More of this? Less of that? Eliminate. Add. Multiply. Can we? Could we?

"Fandom ... "is born out of a mix of fascination and frustration. If you weren’t drawn to it on some level, you wouldn’t be a fan. But, if it fully satisfies you, you wouldn’t need to rewrite it, remake it, re-perform it.” That's why I'm a fan; that's why I have followed drum corps for 48 years. You, too? All of us? Together?

“There’s a fine line to tread on how much you listen to fans, because fans aren’t always right, either. But there are certain things where you should listen to them, because they’re smarter than maybe the super-high-up execs are going to think.”

Or ...  as it played out at Comic-Con: “One of the things I think we all love about Comic-Con so much is the fact that we all accept each other,” (the speaker) said, to groans. “Think about it! We all accept each other’s fandoms. We all accept each other’s idiosyncrasies.” More groans. (Bold type is mine.)

Coalesce. Emerge. Present as a unified DCP brigade? Possible? Even desired?

Or ... do we just love flexing our ideas, our connections, our "knowledge base" to each other?

I have been wondering about these things a lot of late. I'd love to see the "pros" here become our collective mouthpieces to the organizations that matter most.

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

“For your penance, please say...........”

Ed will beat me 

More staff announcements from the Madison Scouts.

http://www.madisonscouts.org/2019/09/madison-scouts-announce-2020-design-team-2/

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 11:28 PM, Jeff Ream said:

OMG how did I miss that??? DNA definitely at work there

both from his Dad (DCA judge and WHoFer) and from his lineage with Adam Wiencken, his instructor at Cadets the several years Tony marched there (and brought great baked goods and hugs from his charming Mom who was a hardworking volunteer each season.) Cadets always added the "c" for Cadets in the middle of Tele(c)ky as he was center snare.

Edited by xandandl

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

both from his Dad (DCA judge and WHoFer) and from his lineage with Adam Wiencken, his instructor at Cadets the several years Tony marched there (and brought great baked goods and hugs from his charming Mom who was a hardworking volunteer each season.) Cadets always added the "c" for Cadets in the middle of Tele(c)ky as he was center snare.

His dad is the only person to take duplo blocks and make a pit instrument out of them. Or the Renebike. Or the tubes in SCV 95. and he is one of the best GE judges on the entire planet, any circuit

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

His dad is the only person to take duplo blocks and make a pit instrument out of them. Or the Renebike. Or the tubes in SCV 95. and he is one of the best GE judges on the entire planet, any circuit

must be why he sent Tony to Duke for a degree in engineering, ha, ha.  

15 hours ago, xandandl said:

must be why he sent Tony to Duke for a degree in engineering, ha, ha.  

I think they wanted him a little closer to home. Well mom anyway. Judged Tonys HS line last fall...good stuff.

Interesting factoid with a BITD perspective, PR re-appointed Jeremy Hunt as drill writer for 2020; Cadets lured Mel Stratton (a Cadets alum) from Bloo back to Cadets as music caption head. (Great webinar btw.)  Both Hunt and Stratton got their drum corps starts in Rochester Patriots. A Kodak moment for 2020???