Staff merry-go-round

18 hours ago, Zeke said:

Have either Xmen or Bluestars solidified their 2020 staff roster/announcements yet?

Blue Stars did

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

That's a shame if true. It's to DCI's detriment to not have a percussion voice as unique as that duo's being performed by somebody every season.

yeah that was amazing the last 2 years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

The consistent comment I heard about BK's corps' percussion voicing for 2019 was musical, musical, musical.  As a non-drummer it was great to hear something other than aggressive banging working out testosterone over-dosing coming out of a corps' battery. Wherever the dynamic duo lands, I hope their summer efforts of 2019 set a new direction for DCI percussion.

you might want to check out the collected work of Thom Hannum....

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

There were musical for certain and I think they got rewarded within reason. It's still a system that rewards demand in content (most non-percussionists can read this as ramming notes,) over musicality IMHO. The best example that I've seen of heavy demand (both battery and front ensemble) along with great musicality was 2010 PR. But I will again say that I VERY much enjoyed their book this year and the MM's did a #### of a job delivering it. 

The 2019 Boston Crusaders beg to differ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Algernon said:

Can't reward content if there's too much dirt to even get a read on the content 

• Like 7

Does anyone have any thoughts on Madison's new percussion head?

15 hours ago, Algernon said:

Cru had some well written stuff. It wasn't as clean as it could have been but I'm not bagging on them in any way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Each generation must get on the same old merry-go-round, only disguised in a fresh coat of paint.

American journalist, essayist, short story writer, novelist, and political activist, Katherine Anne Porter, had the best-selling novel of 1962. It pertains here: "Ship of Fools." And I am not talking about staff changes.

I expect the top six corps, stable or with "lifts and tucks," to amaze. Nothing less than jaw-dropping (it is amazing when they do not, and more often than anyone wants to admit, they do not) will be acceptable.

I hope for shows to challenge the top six who bewilder. From the Blue Knights and Stars, from the revival corps Cadets and Phantom.

I look forward to innovations that delight from Mandarins and Crossmen.

What I am excited about: the rest of the field that amazed this season in ways that we often don't witness from non-finalists and at least the top of the Open Class. Staff changes here matter the most. Annual fresh coats of paint help no corps, but that is often the route taken -- by choice, by circumstance -- among 13-25th place units. It's the rite of passage here. But think of it: last year's off-season musical chairs yielded Pacific Crest's triangulated triumph, the Trooper's gorgeous musical relaunch, Jersey Surf's water wonderland, and the Spartans' goosebump/smile inducing championship. Among others.

So don't *yawn*, please, when I am excited about a recent James Logan High School alum taking over as guard caption head; nor *dismiss* a percussion section that will be lead by an up-and-coming indoor group's designers and educators. This roster; found, recruited, hired, and given space to grow will shape the activity's future. (Bless your hearts when long-time, top six staff begin to retire. It's coming, likely sooner than you can imagine.)

Oh, and the single thing I am most excited about: the prospect of a 2020 summer season as scintillating, as sizzling, as this one!
Amaze us: one and all.

Edited by BranchHill
  • Like 7