Staff merry-go-round

17 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

DCI diversity is equal to marching band diversity. Not that hard to figure out.

Our local high school is diverse because any student who wants to be in the band no matter their ability to play or march, can be in.  That alone creates diversity or the opportunity to be diverse.  In a college band I taught, it was diverse because anyone who wanted to be in it, was in, as long as they could play or spin and march.  Drum corps may be less diverse because they are looking for a specific level of participant and that may create some limitation on a "natural" diversity like some bands.  My point is that it is not necessarily a given that DCI is equal to marching band in terms of diversity.  DC is more diverse than it used to be and will continue to be more diverse as time goes on.  It is generational and as generations age and become more tolerant and accepting, diversity will follow.  It may not evolve as quickly as some would like,  but it shouldn't be forced either.  IMO.

• Like 1

Music City just posted their Design Team.  Looks exciting! 

https://musiccitydrumcorps.org/about/staff/design-team/

https://musiccitydrumcorps.org/2020-season/mcdc-announces-2020-design-team/?fbclid=IwAR13Z-8BI-9R0kjdWAaKHjEOHjXmTvLi_EpFtX4vMLjD7aURjkeVaxG8hM8

Edited by RetiredMusTeach
More information added
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Music City just posted their Design Team.  Looks exciting!

Glad that Shane Gwaltney is back in drum corps. Too talented of a designer to not be involved.

Wasn't Robert W. Smith the brass arranger last year? Looks like he's not arranging for corps in 2020? He also arranged at Colts last year, I think.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Glad that Shane Gwaltney is back in drum corps. Too talented of a designer to not be involved.

Wasn't Robert W. Smith the brass arranger last year? Looks like he's not arranging for corps in 2020? He also arranged at Colts last year, I think.

Yep, I also noticed that about Robert W.  Last year he wrote for both Colts and Music City.

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Well if nothing else MC wins the beard caption.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Our local high school is diverse because any student who wants to be in the band no matter their ability to play or march, can be in.  That alone creates diversity or the opportunity to be diverse.  In a college band I taught, it was diverse because anyone who wanted to be in it, was in, as long as they could play or spin and march.  Drum corps may be less diverse because they are looking for a specific level of participant and that may create some limitation on a "natural" diversity like some bands.  My point is that it is not necessarily a given that DCI is equal to marching band in terms of diversity.  DC is more diverse than it used to be and will continue to be more diverse as time goes on.  It is generational and as generations age and become more tolerant and accepting, diversity will follow.  It may not evolve as quickly as some would like,  but it shouldn't be forced either.  IMO.

I see your point but you can’t ignore the financial aspect. Most bands function during the school year and travel expenses are minimal. Compare this to drum corps where try out/rehearsal schedules require travel through the fall, winter,  and spring months in addition to tour fees make it a much more expensive activity. Many corps are forced to increase their participation fees to cover not only top notch staff, but electronics/props and god knows what else to make it into top twelve status. 

25 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I see your point but you can’t ignore the financial aspect. Most bands function during the school year and travel expenses are minimal. Compare this to drum corps where try out/rehearsal schedules require travel through the fall, winter,  and spring months in addition to tour fees make it a much more expensive activity. Many corps are forced to increase their participation fees to cover not only top notch staff, but electronics/props and god knows what else to make it into top twelve status. 

Staff and props ARE NOT the main driver in tuition fees for corps members. This has been stated hundreds of times on DCP alone. Travel, insurance, food, fuel, housing etc are the bulk of corps budgets.

Now back to the inane and dumb debate over whether your potty plumbing should be a determining factor in being offered a staff position.

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

And what has that all that got to do with diversity of members and staffing?  Apparently you missed my point.