Staff merry-go-round

3 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I didn’t ignore anything you posted. Ever work/volunteer in a not for profit????? Things can get accomplished today on a smaller budget than a DCI finalists’ budget. It can be done.

i’m happy your friends are providing arts education for their children. Very fortunate.

I volunteer @ a pantry that supplies food for over five hundred families who don’t know where their next meals are coming from. These folks can’t afford basic things let alone arts education for their kids. Wouldn’t it be nice if those kids had the same opportunity as your friends’ kids? 

We are looking at this activity through very different lenses.

Soundspirt groups are a great place to start those groups. Even better...scholastic music education. If I were going to expend effort and garner grass roots support, it would be to push for public music education if it does not exist...or push it with parents if it does exist at some level.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Soundspirt groups are a great place to start those groups. Even better...scholastic music education. If I were going to expend effort and garner grass roots support, it would be to push for public music education if it does not exist...or push it with parents if it does exist at some level.

YES...….Which is where many of todays MMs come from thanks in large part to drum corps peoples involvement for decades now

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dans said:

It's moronic to insult someone for having an opinion other than yours. 

Unfortunatly, free speech is only acceptable when others agree with ones opinions and positions. Any difference of opinion is shamed and shouted down. These poor brainwashed youth. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Unfortunatly, free speech is only acceptable when others agree with ones opinions and positions. Any difference of opinion is shamed and shouted down. These poor brainwashed youth. 

Free speech works both ways. But it's also important to note that this is a message board. Free speech doesn't apply to this. 

When that position is based upon randomly and casually throwing out some type of repressed hate, then yeah it should be shamed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

The local units mostly died out decades ago. Competitive HS bands...thousands of them nationwide...took their place. There is just no driving need or interest in resurrecting that old model.

DCI was not built on local corps. It was built by the top corps. They let local corps compete, but they were not the impetus for DCI.

Not all of them.  May I introduce you to realm of open class corps - some who once toured nationally have now chosen to remain regional and yet are still incredibly competitive.  Some of these open class hold their own against World Class corps, though arguably their 'region' is larger than others, working to their advantage.  Their budgets are typically smaller yet the costs still remain - buses being one of the biggest expenses.  Volunteers are harder than ever for corps to find, schools getting tighter and tighter with their red tape limiting housing availability, and other expenses to simply keep the corps on the road, safe and healthy, is at an increased cost across the board.  What are people doing to help besides complaining and opinionating on a message board?  If you volunteer - THANK YOU!  If you donate - THANK YOU!  These members are as passionate about this activity as anyone who has ever marched and the demands placed on them and the corps are at an all-time high.  Everything evolves though, and until the fans and designers reach a point where enough is enough and do something productive to change it, the demands will continue.  As a parent and volunteer, I'm pretty proud of what these members, volunteers, corps staff, and admin are accomplishing...and I am forever grateful for those who charged the lead, and inspired along the way.

@MikeD - That wasn't all in reply to you...just used your post as a gateway 🙂         

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JustEnjoyIt said:

Free speech works both ways. But it's also important to note that this is a message board. Free speech doesn't apply to this. 

When that position is based upon randomly and casually throwing out some type of repressed hate, then yeah it should be shamed. 

Sadly, in current America, differing opinions are labeled as randomly and casually throwing out some type of repressed hate...and deserve to be shamed. In other words, opinions you don't agree with are to be shamed. Very open minded of you!

8 minutes ago, dans said:

Sadly, in current America, differing opinions are labeled as randomly and casually throwing out some type of repressed hate...and deserve to be shamed. In other words, opinions you don't agree with are to be shamed. Very open minded of you!

There is hate out there.  A lot of it is obvious hate.   Your generalization does not make it any less horrendous than it is. 

44 minutes ago, Continental said:

There is hate out there.  A lot of it is obvious hate.   Your generalization does not make it any less horrendous than it is. 

Never said there wasn't hate out there. Some called out...some ignored for political agendas. Thanks for the response.