Staff merry-go-round

10 minutes ago, Continental said:

I would write a supportive comment, but yesterday I was emotionally scarred because you and I were accused of being a tag team duo. 

As soon as I stopped hyperventilating, I looked up "rent a safe space" on Google.  None were to be found.  I rushed out of the house and luckily on the corner of my street there was a cardboard pop-up safe space (great idea Fridgidaire!).  I curled up on the floor of it in the fetal position as I pondered life and all things about it.   A good amount of time passed (as well as a nearby skunk) until I began to think of ways to turn this unfortunate event into something more positive.  Unfortunately it started to rain and the walls of my safe space began to bend.  It was time to return home.

However, while thinking of ways to turn this around, I came up with a show idea for HGTV called "Trading Safe Spaces."  I feel it would be quite popular although I think they need to be careful which designers they choose for the show.  Hildi would probably cause more emotional damage with her designs.

You'd be a fantastic creative writer 

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The caps were unintentional, phones do funny things sometimes.

You may be surprised to discover (referring to the part that I bolded) that you do something very similar to others on here, just on the opposite end of the spectrum. Just some food for thought. 

I personally think you're appealing to emotion here more than practicality. In theory, yes, it would be very virtuous of DCI to bring in more marchers of a lower economic bracket (and as a result also increase diversity since minorities often are in the lower economic bracket for various reasons) through a regional model filled with smaller corps that operate on a lower budget due to less travel. But DCI has to stay afloat in order to continue educating and serving the youth and in my opinion, the regional model would dilute the overall product, lower overall audience interest in the activity, and eventually lead to a decline in the activity as a whole. 

Obviously, this is just conjecture, but it is based on differences in societal attitudes, trends, and economies between the 70s/80s and now. Just as an example, nowadays, many college students spend their summers doing paid/unpaid internships or work summer jobs. The job environment is fierce and college tuition is expensive. Even if DCI adopted a regional model that lowered time and money committment, I have doubts many would bite on the offer. It is just the reality of today.

I’ve tried to represent myself and the organization I’m associated with tact and respect. Please provide a post of mine where I dismissed someone for being too young so I can offer that person the appropriate apology. I’m not above being called out for being disrespectful. I will however, call out someone who is being less than respectful of me or others.

Your response to my post seems to suggest that I wish DCI away altogether. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think that if DCI gave more exposure to Open Class and SoundSport activities you could grow the activity faster offering opportunities to a more diverse demographic. It’s not that far a stretch for an organization as big as DCI. You could get your wish for “only the best” at nationals while those who aren’t up to your standards get the rest of the season to  live the drum corps experience. I call that a win/win.

Thoughts?

Edited by Sutasaurus

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I would write a supportive comment, but yesterday I was emotionally scarred because you and I were accused of being a tag team duo. 

Scars heal my friend.

10 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I’ve tried to represent myself and the organization I’m associated with tact and respect. Please provide a post of mine where I dismissed someone for being too young so I can offer that person the appropriate apology. I’m not above being called out for being disrespectful. I will however, call out someone who is being less than respectful of me or others.

Your response to my post seems to suggest that I wish DCI away altogether. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think that if DCI gave more exposure to Open Class and SoundSport activities you could grow the activity faster offering opportunities to a more diverse demographic. It’s not that far a stretch for an organization as big as DCI. You could get your wish for “only the best” at nationals while those who aren’t up to your standards get the rest of the season living the drum corps experience. I call that a win/win.

Thoughts?

Oh you are the last person who I'd suspect wants to wish DCI away altogether so I am not saying that at all. Your passion for the activity has been noted and observed many times. If you are suggesting to expand open class/soundsport, then I am in agreement. I thought you were suggesting to move world class into a regional format as well which is what I am against.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Oh you are the last person who I'd suspect wants to wish DCI away altogether so I am not saying that at all. Your passion for the activity has been noted and observed many times. If you are suggesting to expand open class/soundsport, then I am in agreement. I thought you were suggesting to move world class into a regional format as well which is what I am against.

Though it would bring more exposure  to the Open Class./SoundSport activities let’s let WC do it’s thing and help finance these starter activities.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

Isn't this supposed to be staff- merry- go- round ??:rolleyes:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Isn't this supposed to be staff- merry- go- round ??:rolleyes:

Do you have any staff changes you would like to announce?

On 9/14/2019 at 10:30 AM, xandandl said:

and it seems like more and more are staying home.

You for one are proof of that with your young family now as an loving obligation and broadcasting options now enticing you and others over exorbitant Indy costs (transportation, food, hotel, tickets, etc.) Life has changed for you and many others; today's costs limit some options.

except attendance has been on an upswing.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, Sutasaurus said:

I’m sorry Mr. Ream, you’re wrong on this point. I may not care for the direction of today’s show design but I love drum corps. So much so, that I’m offering my ideas on how to get more people involved in the activity.

Please don’t speak for me and I’ll afford you the same courtesy.

Best regards,

Suta

i didn't speak for you. I spoke to you.