Staff merry-go-round

On 8/15/2019 at 7:37 AM, Roark1 said:

Imagine Drum Corps of the 70s in today's environment.

Yea, no kidding. The things that we were allowed to do in the Scouts, well, other drum corps were jealous of us. I remember touring with the Crossmen in 1981 and after the show near our buses, I fired up a cig and cracked open a bear, and this guy from Crossmen said to me "holy sh1t, you can do that? Is it allowed?" YUP! Scott Stewart always said that we will be treated like adults, just dont be stupid. We always had coolers full of cold one's in the bus luggage storage area. I will leave it there...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It’s easy to say that from behind your computer, but there is a lot more to being a director than competitive placements. Why we don’t know are the financial issues the corps is facing, and how that translates to what is happening from a competitive front. It could be that Regiment doesn’t have the resources to be as competitive as they once were. 

No it’s not easy to say it as a 48 year veteran of this organization. You missed the point of my previous posts. I was around for 1986, 1999. it took a change in director to right those ships. I do not feel RV is doing the organization any competitive favors. As I’ve said before, the corps is at a crossroads. Should they become a music outreach program or a competitive DCI corps? I think they have the financial ability to do one or the other but not both.

In today’s DCI if you want to be relevant you must spend what’s necessary to keep up with the Jonses.

On 8/15/2019 at 8:16 AM, E3D said:

I don't agree obsessed is the correct way to describe what I mentioned. There is some info on reddit. Why ignore it here?

Interested if true why it was covered up or ignored. 

easy. until names come forward, including the author, it's an unsubstantiated rumor. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Yea, no kidding. The things that we were allowed to do in the Scouts, well, other drum corps were jealous of us. I remember touring with the Crossmen in 1981 and after the show near our buses, I fired up a cig and cracked open a bear, and this guy from Crossmen said to me "holy sh1t, you can do that? Is it allowed?" YUP! Scott Stewart always said that we will be treated like adults, just dont be stupid. We always had coolers full of cold one's in the bus luggage storage area. I will leave it there...

We were STILL doing that in DCA when I left it. Never had that in DCI though LOL. 

19 hours ago, FlamMan said:

That is true! We prepared cocktails on the horn bus in 83 & 84 and they were sold for $1 a drink!

20 hours ago, FlamMan said:

We always had coolers full of cold one's in the bus luggage storage area. I will leave it there...

22 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

That is true! We prepared cocktails on the horn bus in 83 & 84 and they were sold for $1 a drink!

Made it easier to get to sleep on the ride to the next housing site.

• Like 1

I recall an incident in the park in Allentown back then. Scouts actually slept outside the stadium on the grass near the lake. They DID have alcohol on/in hand.

It seems, at the time, legal age to drink in Wisconsin was 18.  The Allentown Police quietly “looked the other way.” Could have shut it down but didn’t want to create an issue for the city’s big event.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

I recall an incident in the park in Allentown back then. Scouts actually slept outside the stadium on the grass near the lake. They DID have alcohol on/in hand.

It seems, at the time, legal age to drink in Wisconsin was 18.  The Allentown Police quietly “looked the other way.” Could have shut it down but didn’t want to create an issue for the city’s big event.

In Massachusetts there were two very famous restaurants known for long waits to get a seat that intentionally delayed seating to sell drinks. One was Thompson’s Clam Bar In Harwichport, a must stop if you were down the Cape, the other may be familiar to people who attended the World Open and other competitions on the North Shore, the Hilltop in Saugus. People didn’t mind waiting and the alcohol flowed freely. Massachusetts laws changed outlawing Happy Hours and making the restaurant responsible for serving people and knowingly allowing them to dive drunk. Suddenly there were no more waits at the Hilltop and Thompson’s. 

Today most kids can’t drink legally while marching. If a 21 year old provided booze for younger members, both the person who purchased it and the corps would be held responsible. Though this would vary from state to state, in the mid 80’s the corps would probably not be held responsible for underage drinking, and unless caught in the act of purchasing, the one who provided it might not be held accountable. 

22 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Jim Ott was known to buy a few cases of beer for his horn line occasionally when we (Spirit) had an off-night on tour. He would give each of us who were 18 or older two beers at the end of rehearsal - and only two. There were only a couple of folks who were under 18, as I recall. Oh, and Jim loved Coors beer (not Coors Light, but the gold can), and it wasn't available east of the Mississippi back then, so these horn line beer gifts didn't commence until we crossed the Mississippi.

• Like 2

Some great memories of Midwest tour in 98 with Scouts and the alumni cars lines up with car trunks full of booze for those of us legal to partake. We'd be relaxing and drinking after a show while others were doing basic blocks.

• Haha 2