DCI-86

Staff merry-go-round

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I've read them

there were 2 in one location that were deleted pretty quick, If this rumor is worse than that , ,,,, then yeah that seems pretty crazy. 

But the fact stands that people here and elsewhere just passed that off as rumor and in many instances looked to shout down anyone who brought it up. 

Have fun running the site and ruling the interwebz. As usual here at DCP ,,,,,I will yield to the throne and allow you to get the last word. 

Edited by E3D
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, INT72 said:

I was thinking the same thing, but those Devils seem to stay close to home and look what that gets them!

Yahtzee! The fact that they've kept the same core (not corps) instructional/design staff for DECADES is a testament to their consistent success. Jay Murphy has been on staff since 81. TJ since 86. Downey, though not as hands on these days, since 74. Brass, Perc & Vis caption heads for over 25 years. Sure they've had numerous techs come and go, but those key players are what keep the ship sailing strong. 

I'm not as familiar with other corps' staffs ... Are there other staffers who have been with their corps for 20+ years? 30? 40??? I'm not counting directors or support staff. Just instructors/designers/arrangers/etc. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, E3D said:

Not sure you have noticed that I have not posted a single rumor. Only that a rumor existed. For me to have repeated what has been rumored, I would have had to actually post the freaking rumor. 

So then why are you bringing it up? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, E3D said:

there were 2 in one location that were deleted pretty quick, If this rumor is worse than that , ,,,, then yeah that seems pretty crazy. 

But the fact stands that people here and elsewhere just passed that off as rumor and in many instances looked to shout down anyone who brought it up. 

Have fun running the site and ruling the interwebz. As usual here at DCP ,,,,,I will yield to the throne and allow you to get the last word. 

without people coming forward in the manner they did, what can be done? if i called the police on every rumor i have ever heard on every scumbag in drum cors, i'd be locked up for calling all the time and having zero hard usable evidence.

 

as for the last word, i apologize if educating you on how the real world works is off putting to you. Better than spewing falsehoods online where everything can be traced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 10:44 PM, FlamMan said:

Yea, no kidding. The things that we were allowed to do in the Scouts, well, other drum corps were jealous of us. I remember touring with the Crossmen in 1981 and after the show near our buses, I fired up a cig and cracked open a bear, and this guy from Crossmen said to me "holy sh1t, you can do that? Is it allowed?" YUP! Scott Stewart always said that we will be treated like adults, just dont be stupid. We always had coolers full of cold one's in the bus luggage storage area. I will leave it there...

We were like a street gang with instruments in the mid 70s.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 12:18 PM, LyricalCoder said:

Yahtzee! The fact that they've kept the same core (not corps) instructional/design staff for DECADES is a testament to their consistent success. Jay Murphy has been on staff since 81. TJ since 86. Downey, though not as hands on these days, since 74. Brass, Perc & Vis caption heads for over 25 years. Sure they've had numerous techs come and go, but those key players are what keep the ship sailing strong. 

I'm not as familiar with other corps' staffs ... Are there other staffers who have been with their corps for 20+ years? 30? 40??? I'm not counting directors or support staff. Just instructors/designers/arrangers/etc. 

Bluecoats have a few. Nothing like what BD has been able to do, but Doug Thrower has been with Bluecoats since roughly 1990 (?). Someone on here may have the exact date. Same with Dave M. (co-brass caption head). But those two have been with Bloo for nearly 30 years. They really are the foundation of the staff, and their management team is outstanding. 

It is nice when you can keep staff around for a long time. Some staff may be alumni, but others may come from other drum corps experiences. Doug and Dave (with Bloo) never marched Bluecoats and are both from Canada.  The Blue Devil's best visual technique guy and cleaner is a former Madison Scout. Wayne Downey marched with Santa Clara Vanguard and won a ring with them. It's been well documented that Bluecoats have a number of designers and teachers from old Garfield Cadets/CBC days. 

The key, however (as you noted) is to keep people around for a long time, providing they are doing good work. BD is simply in a better position to do that due to finances and the structure of their org. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Roark1 said:

We were like a street gang with instruments in the mid 70s.

I can remember being out east, Salem,MA to be exact. Both Regiment and Madison were housed on the rough side of town. One night the local youth came by wanting to start trouble....between the two corps, we didn’t have “problems” with them after that night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

I can remember being out east, Salem,MA to be exact. Both Regiment and Madison were housed on the rough side of town. One night the local youth came by wanting to start trouble....between the two corps, we didn’t have “problems” with them after that night.

Boston didn't need any assistance with the local yokels.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Boston didn't need any assistance with the local yokels.

Ghost, this reply is child like. Does it always have to be who's better or stronger.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldsnare said:

Ghost, this reply is child like. Does it always have to be who's better or stronger.

Will you be asking the same question of Sutasaurus?  Just a humorous reply (to me anyways) to a BITD story.   (stronger?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.