Staff merry-go-round

4 hours ago, East9900 said:

Could anyone please explain why this rule exists? Originally I was thinking it was there so corps aren't poaching other staff members so soon, but it doesn't seem like that is the case since there are rumors out there of firings and hiring new staffs already.

Because after the 2016 DCI season, Boston/Crown hired major DCI staff from Cadets right after championships. The same staff members were still working with Cadets2 DCA, so there were a couple of awkward weeks in Allentown.

You-know-who complained, the current rule was promulgated.

6 hours ago, East9900 said:

Could anyone please explain why this rule exists? Originally I was thinking it was there so corps aren't poaching other staff members so soon, but it doesn't seem like that is the case since there are rumors out there of firings and hiring new staffs already.

Corps members should be the focus here and it seems like the sooner corps members are aware of these things, they better off they are in making a decision that fits their best interest. Most corps members are fairly loyal, but I'm sure there are plenty that want to be taught by certain staff members. 

I wonder how many will actually make an announcement after the time limit has been lifted. I would think corps would want that news out there as soon as possible to add excitement and give enough time for the news to get out before camps start and build those numbers.

I believe it is to discourage announcements during finals week with "kid poaching" etc - avoiding distractions or staff poaching mid season for next and folks "punching out" etc...

It came around after 2016 for some various reasons

I'm thinking it went a step too far and they should eliminate it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShortAndFast said:

Because after the 2016 DCI season, Boston/Crown hired major DCI staff from Cadets right after championships. The same staff members were still working with Cadets2 DCA, so there were a couple of awkward weeks in Allentown.

You-know-who complained, the current rule was promulgated.

the whole 2016 summer was awkward - literally caption heads and the director NOT speaking

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

There is a pretty serious media opportunity for someone to monetize this arena. DCI Free Agency News.

In professional sports getting the scoop and making it public knowledge is a multi-million dollar industry. (Adam Schefter, Woj, Shams.., ) Granted in our little world the interest is not as great, but it is absolutely not against the rules to have a verified trusted source of something and making it public knowledge before the Organizations want it to be known. 

It's entertainment, We are all on this forum to discuss and pass the time, If we are dedicating this much time we are all somewhat fanatics of Drum Corps.

I find it strange that sharing stories is so taboo. Who are we protecting? A corps is going to fold because we know a week ahead of time what is already being agreed upon privately?

Just silly to me that this is where the line is on DCP and others arenas related to the marching arts... 

it's the "stories sharing" (half of which in this thread are accurate, half not) that causes a lot of angst behind the scene - rumors get out there and then text messages and phone calls start flying

vs. the ideal of an organization being able to share changes internally and in the correct order (BOD/staff/membership leaders/key volunteers)

it can and has caused problems... 

51 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Really well. Ha ha.  The scary thing is that maybe this is minimized and if there wasn't a rule it would be a worse runaway train of stupid pot stirring.

You never know.  But right now, it looks like 2016 recaps were better-kept secrets.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, kdaddy said:

No doubt. Though there's been some buzz (or otherwise wishful thinking) that Jay Bocook would return to Cadets. If he left BK for Cadets, I'd consider that major news for BK. Though he used to have both jobs back when Cadets were finishing in the top six - here's guessing he'd have to choose one or the other now that they competitors. 

It would be a shame if he left BK, I've found his arrangements more entertaining at BK than his time at Cadets 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4