Staff merry-go-round

3 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

Interestingly, Alex Haddad (who started our corps after resigning as the Director of the St. Thomas Crusaders DBC - the "band" of the all-male high school in Rockford operated by the Augustinian order with an all-female guard drawn from the all-girl school nearby, Bishop Muldoon) originally chose Rockford Rangers as the corps' name. The Rangers was a reference to Rockford's image as the Forest City because of the proliferation of elm trees throughout the city.

The all-female guard (which included Mr. Haddad's 2 daughters) was to be known as the Rangerettes.

Some members of the new corps thought outside the box and approached Mr. Haddad with the name Phantom Regiment. The story is that Mike Gallagher and Jim Wren were listening to DBC recordings and discovered a Leroy Anderson song called "The Phantom Regiment" played by the Syracuse Brigadiers. . Alex agreed, the corps became Phantom Regiment and the guard became the Phantomettes.  

Very cool story. That piece by Anderson is fun. My community band has played it a few times over the years.

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The people that need to take ownership are those in this thread spreading private or false information. My or anyone ignoring the thread doesn’t do much to change the harmful dynamic. 

The only way to keep something "private" is to not tell anyone in the first place. Once you tell another soul, you have to know it's going to get out... and that was before the internet.

People tell people because they want other people to know. Don't fault people for sharing... it's the original person's fault if they shared info.

2 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

Don’t ya know? The point these days is to SEEK to be triggered. THEN report it is a travesty. 

See exhibit A: Larry Clark

On 8/31/2019 at 8:10 PM, Ghost said:

Having maybe better talent to start with helped .

the brass was pretty weak when he came onboard, if I remember correctly

Edited by EricS

On 8/31/2019 at 11:20 AM, Tim K said:

A bit of caution on “Dream Team” staffs: assembling a perfect or nearly perfect staff will only work if the leadership is solid and everyone is working towards the same goal. There are so many factors that can be at play. Big names can have big egos that clash. Big names can have the occasional idea that does not work as expected. Over the years there are posts that a big name is going to a corps and all that corps’ problems would be solved, and it hasn’t happened. 

The focus should be on the right people, who may be big names, but could also include lesser known people and perhaps some new blood being given a chance.

from a current mm:

most important comment in this whole thread, something that people should pay more attention to before immediately assuming better staff=better placement.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lead said:

The only way to keep something "private" is to not tell anyone in the first place. Once you tell another soul, you have to know it's going to get out... and that was before the internet.

People tell people because they want other people to know. Don't fault people for sharing... it's the original person's fault if they shared info.

hence my silence

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 8:10 PM, Kajarlo said:

The other strange thing about all of this is how active TrumetCam (aka Chip Crotts) has been on this thread talking about himself in third person and how SCV music will be taking a step back without him being there....

This is intriguing to me. Has anyone else gone through TrumpetCam's DCP post history? The account has been hyping the groups that Cameron "Chip" Crotts has been teaching for the past decade. 2008 Phantom Regiment, 2015 Cavaliers, 2018 SCV to name a few. If this isn't Crotts' account, then who is it? I've read through almost every post in the 38 page history and some of the stuff he says about himself or what his friends say about him blows my mind.

I've also watched TrumpetCam's multiple edits of his response to Kajarlo. Luckily Jurrasic Lanser quoted the original response where he states the account was created by "Crotts and many friends" - He admitted that Crotts was/is a part of the account...which makes his first few posts about 2008 PR more mind boggling. Also, why did he randomly call out Bruckner8? I'm new here but aren't staff members allowed on here?....Does Bruckner8 talk about himself in third person about how a group is going to be worse without him?

Either way, It looks like Chip is heading to BD and that's a win for them....regardless of his DCP shenanigans. I look forward to the future TrumpetCam comments talking about how great BD brass is this year, which is of course posted by one of his friends that run that account for him. 😑

9 hours ago, Lead said:

And don’t tell others at Basey’s late on Saturday night!  That’s when I heard of the first few moves Cadets we’re making and definitely the quickest way to start spreading the news. 

• Thanks 1