Staff merry-go-round

9 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

I find it rather disappointing (to put it mildly) that the Blue Stars do not any female caption heads or any women serving on the design team.  Yikes.    Is it 2019 or 1949?

Yea...the Blue Stars must be misogynistic and anti female...except at least 1/3  of the corps is female. You are looking for things that arent there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Blue Devils already have their 2020 staff listed, with no females on the design team or caption heads.  You did not notice them?  They are the reigning DCI champion.

Yea. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I find calling out a corps for (unintentionally?) having an all male staff ridiculous but not striving to diversify the teaching ranks ridiculous. Representation matters.,

Ridiculous. Stop looking for gender issues.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, garfield said:

It's just a darn good thing that there are 49 other states.

When Blue Stars move to CA, you can raise this issue about them.  Until then, no, you can't.

I live IN California and think that's a stupid law.  California's driving businesses away as fast as they can as it is...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

Yup. Blue states like Cali, Illinois and New York are driving businesses and residents out at record rates. They are bad at governing.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but there is some truth to it.

I've lived all over the place, and I've moved here 3 times over 30 years. Everytime I leave and come back, it gets more and more expensive to live here, and the standard of living keeps getting worse. ...but there is a sense of freedom and free will not present in other states.

This "female inclusion rule" is just another papercut that we who live here have to endure.  It is better than living in some of the states that I've lived in though...

I just think it's stupid to be forced to have a board member that you may or may not want on the board of your corporation.  Just find the most qualified.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Just quoting for two reasons: 

1) Gotta like stuff about the home team, and

2) can we get back to the topic of staff announcements? 

Gender stuff is worth talking about - but maybe in its own thread please? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I find calling out a corps for (unintentionally?) having an all male staff ridiculous but not striving to diversify the teaching ranks ridiculous. Representation matters.,

11 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I have a novel idea. How about the person that is best qualified for the position regardless of what naughty parts they have or what type of naughty parts the choose to engage with is selected. Isn't that the definition of equality, you know, actually looking at someone based on their qualifications?

10 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

No one is disputing that. 

Even you are disputing that. 

You stated that "representation matters", with zero context or other conditions.  I think a number of other things matter - among them are ability, availability, and interest.  To demand representation without those other attributes, as your post suggests, would require either putting women in jobs against their own will, or before they are ready.

There also need to be openings.  It is one thing to add people to a BOD for the sake of representation.  Specific one-person jobs like designers and caption heads are a different matter.  Without a job opening, you would have to fire a current designer/caption head... not what I would suggest for a corps at the top of their game like Blue Stars are right now.