Thoughts on 2019 Finals Week

22 hours ago, Malaguena88 said:

Has there been any discussion at the top admin levels of DCI to expand to 15 for finals? I believe the quality is there. Thoughts?

Michael Cesario proposed that at the 2018 winter meetings and it was shot down by the directors, who argued that it would demean the hard work of corps that were on the verge of Finals. Not to mention, we technically already have a “Top 15” in the form of the Prelims cinecast.

But all that is beside DrumManTx’s point that this was a great season from top to bottom.

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Michael Cesario proposed that at the 2018 winter meetings and it was shot down by the directors, who argued that it would demean the hard work of corps that were on the verge of Finals. Not to mention, we technically already have a “Top 15” in the form of the Prelims cinecast.

But all that is beside DrumManTx’s point that this was a great season from top to bottom.

My point in bringing this up is that there has never been a time where there has been more talent in the DCI pool, as evidenced by the competitiveness; expansion would allow those on the edge (SOA, etc.) to be included in Finals. Would be a huge boost to those programs to be included in top 15.....

• 3 weeks later...

This is a seriously AMAZING review! Thank you for your time and quality writing and reflections on Finals. Can't say I disagree with anything. 

On 8/11/2019 at 10:50 AM, Malaguena88 said:

Has there been any discussion at the top admin levels of DCI to expand to 15 for finals? I believe the quality is there. Thoughts?

I could see this.  In some ways I'd like to see DCI go the other way and limit the number of corps that make it to the Final round. But I would expand it one more round. Begin Prelims (Round 1) on Wednesday but it's a battle of corps from 13 - 36 (or whatever the number is). Then the top 12 from this round go against the top 12 (as currently ranked) in Prelims (Round 2) on Thursday. On Friday you have Semifinals (Round 3) featuring the top 12 from Round 2. On Saturday, you have Finals (Round 4) with only the top 6 competing for the title. This allows for the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps to perform at a more reasonable time, along with the Open Class Champion, a Sound Sport group, and perhaps a DCA corps as well. 

So it would be 4 days of competition. Each day narrows the field. You would have 24 corps or so in Round 1 (13th place to 36 or so), 24 in Round 2, 12 in Round 3, and 6 in Round 4. 

I know this would not happen because I imagine ticket sales would be hurt, and they would have to move Open Class Finals. It's likely better to have a full list of corps competing on Friday in Semis since many of the fans only come for the weekend. But it would be cool to play it down in four rounds.